Gokyo Ri


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Gokyo Lakes
November 15th 2018
Published: February 19th 2019
Edit Blog Post


Today is a much needed rest day. I think it’s safe to say we are all very tired after 4 long days of walking.
We had a relative lie in and ate breakfast around 730am. This lodge lights it’s fire in the morning so wasn’t as chilly as some places.

After eating & getting our things together we headed out towards the large hill visible from our lodge windows. This is Gokyo Ri, at 5360m it offers views of Cho Oyu, Everest, Lhotse, Makalu, Cholatse & Taboche and Ngozumpa glacier.
The walk was immediately steep up and we were slower than we have been. Bart is unfortunately feeling unwell and the rest of us are just tired. One advantage of it being steep is that we had reached the top by 1030am, about 1hr 45mins after leaving the lodge.
The sky was clear and the sun shining and the views magnificent. The wind was fierce though and after a stop for snacks, water and photos we started to head back down again.

The descent was straightforward and I watched the clouds roll in feeling pleased that we had missed them. On the way up we bumped into some people who had got up at 430am to climb up - they must be insane. It’s so cold before the sun comes up and the clouds don’t tend to arrive until after 11am. At least all the early birds meant it wasn’t too busy at the top when we were there!

Back in our lodge we changed, ate lunch and settled down for a relaxing afternoon, reading & enjoying the baked goods on offer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Ascending Gokyo RiAscending Gokyo Ri
Ascending Gokyo Ri

Miriam, Robin and Stephen below
Views from the topViews from the top
Views from the top

Bart, Miriam, Robin & Stephen in foreground


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb