Wedding preparations,...


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Bhaktapur
December 5th 2012
Published: December 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Last Saturday we went with the whole family to Gyanendra’s sister in Panauti to enjoy a lazy Saturday-afternoon. We were sitting in the sun, playing cards, football,... We also had very tasty food before everybody went back home.

Nowadays, we are busy in the wedding-preparations for Dharmendra (Gyanendra’s youngest brother) and Kanchana (starting from tomorrow). The invitation-cards are being distributed by all brothers. Different than in Belgium: just a few days before the wedding and all brought personally, not via post.

Monday was also a very important day: we went to the house of Kanchana, with lots of gifts (mostly food / sweets), to ask permission for the wedding. But first we had samya baji (the traditional newari dish) at home, to bring us good luck. Zoe and the others sisters (in law) were dressed in Sari, they took all the gifts and displayed them in Kanchana’s house. First there was a ceremony where Dipendra (Gyanendra’s oldest brother) and Kanchana’s father were involved and where her father gave his permission for the wedding by accepting the ‘Gya’. Then Kanchana joined us, lots of ‘puja’ followed and in the end we ate samya baji.

Today there was a surprise for the kids: “Sinterklaas” even came up to Nepal to bring chocolate (after they made their shoes ready to be filled yesterday).

These days there is plenty of sunlight, no clouds and very clear mountain views, for Zoe the best views she has ever seen in Bhaktapur (but a bit cold, specially when it’s getting dark).

Many (wedding)parties are going on, because it is the “wedding season” for the Newari people now, so music bands are going through the streets very often. All this makes Nepal a very atmospheric place at the moment!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



6th December 2012

I long for Nepal
Hi Zoë and Gyan, Your pictures and stories bring back good memories of your wedding already 2 years ago. To me the welcoming family of Gyan almost feels like they are my family (Gyan do you still have a bro for me to marry ha, ha?). I am happy that you both are having such a good time and very good for Gyan because he must miss his family a lot in our cold country. (Ik heb de papieren binnen van de gemeente Breda, we zijn officieel huisgenootjes geworden) xx Bianca

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0773s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb