Travel Blog #3


Advertisement
Maldives' flag
Asia » Maldives
October 10th 2013
Published: October 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Question: What role do women in play in society? Do they receive equality? If not, what actions have they taken to gain their rights?

Article: http://www.globalissues.org/news/2012/04/03/13214



Recently Maldives's President Mohammed Nasheed was replaces with a different president causing women in the country to rebel against their elected government for their rights. Due to the change in government, Maldivian women are disappointed and furious about the possible changes that could occur with President Mohammed Waheed Hassan reducing women's rights. So far they have not taken the agreement of single mothers having free health insurance and aid although they were protesting with others and going against police members. Out of the 350,000 Maldive population, 8,000 of the women were at rallies battling against the system and hoping that they can reach to the leave that men are currently at.



Women in Maldives are at risk of losing the important role in society they had when Nasheed was in power because before they were not given positions to work in fields like policy or decision-making levels, transportation was troubling to get when women needed to go to hospitals or clinics. To receive more freedom in their country, they are dedicating themselves to rallying to have Nasheed control their government once again. The period that he was in power, Nasheed would stand up and defend women's rights by advocating against female genital mutilation, child marriage, public flogging of women for adultery, and creating a bill to give Maldivian women an emergency protection and a possibility to get a divorce. Throughout the struggle of gaining what they should have gotten, women fight for themselves, for other women, and future girls that could face the same consequences.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0681s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb