A2 Travel Blog #4


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » São Paulo
November 22nd 2013
Published: November 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

http://floratheexplorer.com/graffiti-batmans-alley-sao-paulo-brazil/

Question: What are popular forms of art in Brazil? How do artists express themselves here?





In the past, the area of the Brazilian city of Sãu Paulo would be covered with advertisements billboards that tourist or civilians weren’t able to see the ancient buildings that remained there. But later in 2006, the mayor passed a law that did not allow for ads to be placed within the city. The mayor believed that this law would bring out the natural beauty of the city; sadly it turned the city dull and colorless without the advertisements. It took the tallest building inside the city to actually notice the color and passion the city has.





The color can mostly be found on Batman’s alley, the translation of Beco do Batman. The beginning of the alley appears to be pure graffiti that fill the walls of buildings from top to bottom. Artist will constantly be changing the drawings and designs by covering up old graffiti and creating their own new, unique paintings. As you walk down the blocks of the alley, details from the murals pop out more and messages begin spreading without words. The messages are forms of artists to express themselves about their ideas, beliefs, worries, and society. They usually begin their graffiti on these walls because they want to share the 3D images they have while being free of accusation and felony. Through their passion a new view of the city is shown from a different set of eyes.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb