Two towers


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
March 12th 2005
Published: March 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We've been enjoying a more comfortable week in Kuala Lumpur (or just "KL' as the locals call it): earlier in the week we both went down with colds and subsequently had the excuse to check in to an hotel ("Swiss Inn" in Chinatown) with towels and clean sheets and breakfast and tv and everything!

Still, we've been out and about as well, starting our exploration of the city by ascending the 'Menara KL', the world's 4th largest communications tower, which stands in a rainforest-covered hill right in the heart of the city. From there, we got fantastic views including a good look at the world-famous Petronas towers (now the second tallest buildings in the world). On the walk back into the city we were delighted to see a monkey dart out of forest in front of us, run across the road and disappear into the trees on the other side.

We've also explored Medeka Square (site of Malaysia's declaration of Independence) and associated colonial buildings and church and were confused when three Indians all posed to have their photographs taken with us.

On thursday we took a bus to the Lake Gardens and for the second time locals wanted to have their photographs taken with us - a whole Malay family this time. We reckon that either:
a) they're amazed to see white people (even after 2 months in Aisa we're still Anglo-Saxonly pale)
b) we are somehow respresentive of the colonial past
c) they think we look like someone familiar to them (...in my case maybe Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt etc.)

Anyway, the Lake Gardens were fun with a deer park, very impressive orchid gardens (they don't need greenhouses in this country!), lots of wild monkeys (including many females with tiny babies clinging on to their undersides) and most importantly, somewhere to enjoy the cooler atmosphere. We also continued to do our bit for the ecosystem by offering our arms and legs as food for very evil-looking flies (who resembled spiders with wings and fangs and seemed immune to DEET).

In the evening we finally got the chance to try the infamous local Durian fruit. This is a large spikey fruit, loved by the locals but banned from most public places because it smells like a cross between an open sewer and rotten vegetables. The funny thing is, it also tastes exactly like a cross
A mixed bag of KL architectureA mixed bag of KL architectureA mixed bag of KL architecture

A view from Medeka Square
between an open sewer and rotten vegetables...

On friday, by way of contrast we spent the whole day in air-conditioned shopping malls (apart from rushing outside mid-afternoon to experience a tropical rain shower) and spent several hours in the world's largest indoor theme-park (they have a certificate from the Guiness book of records and everything!).


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb