Thailand to Malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
August 11th 2009
Published: August 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So after we last wrote we were gearing up for the full moon party, it was mad (as expected!) I think we got back to our hotel around 7 or 8am.
After a day recovering it was time to start our journey to Malaysia.

We checked out of our hotel at noon and got a taxi to the ferry port 3 or 4 hours on a ferry and then an hour on a coach we arrived in Surat Thani. We then changed to another coach and were dropped off at Surat Thani rail station about 6pm. We bought tickets but had to wait untill 1am for our train, there was nothing at all around the station so we just slept and played cards.
Dan bought some mystery food from a vendor in the station which turned out to be the spiciest food we have ever eaten! It made Siobhans eyes water loads!

Our train left Surat Thani and arrived in Hat Yai 6.30am. We had to quickly jump off the train and run to buy tickets for the onward journey to Butterworth and then jump back on. During this next leg the train pulled into malaysia and we all had to get off and be proccessed by immigration.
Once back on the train it was another mammoth journey on horribly hard seats, finally arriving in Butterworth at 2pm. We bought tickets for an overnight train to Kuala Lumper, but this was not untill 11pm.
After leaving our bags at the train office we went exploring, there was nothing around the station so jumped in a taxi and asked the guy to take us to a restaraunt, he took us to a massive shopping centre place which was air conditioned and felt like heaven! We had Mcdonalds which cost 2 quid for 2 meals!
After a bit of shopping and a looong wait we got back to station and on our train. Slept most of the way and arrived in Kuala Lumpur at 6am.
We taxi'd into city centre and went to a hotel we had already looked at online. We were too early to check in but left our bags and went for breakfast and a stroll around.
KL has a good mix of Malaysian, Chinese and Indian populations and the cafes restaraunts and bars reflect this. There is also a big western influence now with Starbucks and fast
Surat Thani stationSurat Thani stationSurat Thani station

Sleeping on the platform.
food chains dotted about.

Finally we checked in and crashed out and slept most of the day.
Our hotel is right in the middle of china town and at night there is a huge market selling fake goods and loads of food vendors. We had a look around quickly and some food and then slept again!

Today is the 11th and it feels like we have been travelling forever! So pleased to be here now!

We are probably going to visit a big Hindu shrine just outside of town today, Batu Caves.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Butterworth stationButterworth station
Butterworth station

Smiling because it's our last train!


11th August 2009

AHOY
Hi guys ! I can see you are having a good time :) I wish I'd be there as well, cause here is fucking shit as usually. Dan you have that famous jug full of WIN probably . WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT. Anyway I'm glad you both doing okey. Keep udpating your blog moar often and make us happy with thousnads of pictures !
11th August 2009

What a journey !!!!!
We are both pleased you are at KL and the back has healed up, Dan not a good thing to say on the blog when mum reads it, you know how she worries!! I bet that hurt when you got up the next day. Theres nothing to report back here,weather is getting good again, Mark is out cruising in his car, no reports that he has bumped into anyone yet. You both take care of each other, will catch up again soon. Dave xx
11th August 2009

thailand
hi you both seem to be having a wonderful time puts our journey around cornwall in a different light. What exactly is in those buckets you seem fond of? Love to you both xxx
11th August 2009

.
Haha. Jug full of win made me laugh! We have loads more pics on facebook if you add Siobhan as a friend they are on hers. (Siobhan Bolger) Nice to hear from you say hey to Ed! Tell him I almost wet my pants when I read about Schumacher!!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb