"Rail=Real Nightmare to Kuala Lumpur!"


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
May 16th 2008
Published: May 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

I'm "Impressed"!



It was 9pm when our rail (real) nightmare started on 16th May 08 @ Tanjong Pagar Railway Station. As soon as we passed through the Malaysian Customs, we realised that our passports were not stamped. Seeking clarifications from the unsmiling Mr Custom Officer was futile as he was more engrossed in his newspapers than performing his duties. He managed an unconvincing "No" before returning back to his papers.

Reassurance instead came from a Singaporean family whom we spoke to. The family was also taking the train to Malaysia for the first time. Their passports too were not stamped.


"If that's how things work at the Malaysian Customs at Tanjong Pagar, I'm really impressed!"


We were relegated to the air-con second class cabin as we did not managed to secure the sleeper cabin tickets. It was unfortunately next to the lavatories where the voices of the talkative cleaners could be heard throughout the night. The faulty connecting door banged loudly each time somebody used the passageway.

Despite all these disturbances, we envied M as he was able to sleep soundly throughout the rail journey. J and I were not so fortunate given the less than conducive sleeping environment.

Anyway, what was promised a 9 hour journey to the Malaysian capital stretched to an 11 hour affair. Along the way, there were no train announcements to inform us of the stopping points. I had to check with the cleaner on board to make sure that we had not missed our destination.

"It's Seremban, good try. 2 more stations to Kuala Lumpur!" My heart sank.

Our ordeal finally ended at 8am when the train finally pulled into KL Sentral Station, a good 2 hours behind schedule. 11 hours on the train is certainly no joke!

After finding our bearings right, we proceeded to the nearest Monorail Station to take another train (yes again) to our Hotel at Raja Chulan. Home for the next 2 nights was the Novotel Hydro Majestic. I'm really thankful that we managed to check in at 8.30am into our comfortable room at the 15th level. The only things that turned out right so far was the hotel and my 2 travel kakis. It was simply god send!

As for another railway journey to Malaysia? Never again!



Good night.





Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



21st May 2008

hahah
even after hearing your horror story.. i still want to try it!! all the way to thailand lol! n i still i will be able to sleep too!! i can slp anywhere!!
24th June 2008

Train to Malaysia
Hi, i took the train back fr KL to Sin last year with my husband. its the express train n air con second class but the seats are really uncomfortable due to the long journey. it was more than ten hours. a friend of hours was worse. there was a derail ahead of their train fr KL to Sin, but no announcement was make n the train just stop n everyone had to be transfer to take bus to JB.He was furious!Express bus faster, also got con.must buy ticket fr counter n fr wellknown company.

Tot: 0.761s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 80; dbt: 0.6616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb