Kuala Lumpur and Sarawak 23 - 28 June Day 60 till 65


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak » Kuching
June 28th 2009
Published: July 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kuala LumpurKuala LumpurKuala Lumpur

Petronas twin towers
Kuala Lumpur is a modern and vibrant city. The overwhelming dominance of motorbikes we got used to in Vietnam and Cambodia is gone here, cars have recovered their status.
We very much enjoyed seeing the Petronas twin towers, they are the tallest twin towers in the world today, have 88 floors and a total height of 451.9 meters.
We also liked the elegant KL's telecommunications tower.
What I enjoyed most however was the monorail, a kind of aerial metro which gives you very nice views of the city when you take it.

After KL we went to Kuching in Sarawak, Borneo.
Kuching is the capital of Sarawak and is located on the banks of the Sarawak river. The town is filled with ornate Chinese temples, elegant colonial-style buildings and a beautiful waterfront.
For us however it was more of a transition place as the next day we went to stay 2 nights at a Dayak longhouse in the jungle of Borneo. A longhouse accommodates all the members of a village and is built raised off the ground on stilts. The private living quarters are situated along a public area in the middle. As it is raised from the ground there is no risk of flooding and the space underneath can be used for cattle or storage.
The first day we had a jungle trek. After 3 hours of walking, mostly climbing we reached a waterfall where we had lunch, chicken soup cooked in bamboo and rice. A refreshing dip in the pool at the bottom of the waterfall was a very welcoming break given temperatures around 32 degrees Celsius.
Another 2 ½ hours walk and we were back at the village where after a rest we had a superb, natural dinner.
The next day we explored a river where at some point there are hot springs coming from the bottom. We had a great time.
The last day we went back to Kuching and visited a protected jungle area where we saw orang utans, it was a great experience.

The following day we flew to Hong Kong.


Additional photos below
Photos: 80, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Kuala LumpurKuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur

Petronas Twin Towers
Kuala LumpurKuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur

Petronas Twin Towers - The Sky Bridge
Kuala LumpurKuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur

Kl Tower (telecommunications)
Kuala LumpurKuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur

Monorail arriving at station
Kuala LumpurKuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur

Mono rail view from Street level
KuchingKuching
Kuching

New Parliament for local Sarawak region.
KuchingKuching
Kuching

Sunset on the Sarawak river
KuchingKuching
Kuching

Colonial Architecture - Post office
Kuching textile museumKuching textile museum
Kuching textile museum

Typical of British colonial architecture


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb