Stepping Back in Time on the North Borneo Railway


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
February 15th 2014
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

North Borneo Steam EngineNorth Borneo Steam EngineNorth Borneo Steam Engine

The original North Borneo Steam Engine, a workhorse created to transport workers and goods, was bombed out of existence by the Japanese during World War II. It was refurbished and brought back into existence in the year 2000, by a five star hotel chain, as a luxury liner dining train tourist attraction.
After four days of rustic living in the Kinebatagan Nature Lodge, jungle trekking and warding off leeches, mosquitoes, millipedes, snakes, spiders, and a bunch of other potential stuff that bites, it was quite an indulgence for us to take a ride on the refurbished North Borneo Rail steam engine train.

The train ride was a taste of decadence and a flashback in time to the British Colonial era. All staff were costumed in early century era clothing, nostalgic music was playing, and whistles were blown as the conductor yelled out "All Aboard!" when we left the station. Each passenger received a passport for the four hour journey, which was stamped by the train conductor as we approached each of the train's five districts. Throughout the journey passengers were seated in fan-cooled dining cars, and waited on eloquently.

Immediately upon departure, were were greeted with a beverage of iced lemon tea. Shortly after, we were treated to a breakfast of croissants, English dainties, and tea or coffee. We had two opportunities to get off the train and briefly tour communities along the route. On one stop we visited an interesting Chinese temple. On the other, we purchased a couple of
Ticket ControlTicket ControlTicket Control

These were our totally delightful and not intimidating Passport Stampers and Ticket Controllers.
small inexpensive watercolours directly from the local artist: "Borneo Orangu-utan" and "Borneo Water Buffalo Bathing", each of which is guaranteed to keep alive the memories of our experiences here. The journey concluded with an excellent five course dinner, and at various points throughout we were treated to ice cold towels for our refreshment.

As I said, a little indulgence in decadence, which at close to $100 CAN each we felt was very expensive for a four hour journey. But only a few days later we met a gentleman from England who assured us that riding a similar restored stream engine train in England would set you back four times the price, and would not include the dinner! So in retrospect, it was a good deal and definitely a novel experience.

Something that totally added to the fun was the warm reception the train received from all observers as it passed by. Here we were, feeling just a little stuffy and pompous being coddled on this pretentious colonial era train, yet everyone we passed waved and smiled delightedly at us as we slowly rolled by - and I mean everyone: construction workers, farmers, passing motorists, pedestrians, housewives, and of
All on Board!All on Board!All on Board!

Let's go Stanley!
course, children. They loved their train and were obviously very proud of it. So of course, we indulged further, soaking up and returning all that positive energy, which made for a perfectly delightful activity to end our busy week of planned ventures.

Now we will be seeking a little quiet and rest. It is time for the Dreamchasers to recharge their batteries, as we most certainly have not yet lived up to the "Slow Down, You Move Too Fast" mantra for this trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

All on Board Bev!All on Board Bev!
All on Board Bev!

Yes, I am excited to be taking this ride!
Our Sweet ServerOur Sweet Server
Our Sweet Server

Her name was Corine, and she was as pleasant as could be.
Breakfast is ServedBreakfast is Served
Breakfast is Served

What's not to like?
Chinese Temple GodsChinese Temple Gods
Chinese Temple Gods

There were two long rows of these, each with a story to tell, but we did not get the stories told this time.
Temple DragonTemple Dragon
Temple Dragon

This dragon was unusual in that it was a work in progress. It's whiteness was quite striking, I thought, but not typically Asian..when ompleted, it will undoubtedly be more colourful, and likely gold plated.
Stan Getting Into The MoodStan Getting Into The Mood
Stan Getting Into The Mood

It may look like he was doing a wicked djembe drum session, but he had actually just finished making the drum bowl chime. Same same but different.
Water Buffalo art and ArtistWater Buffalo art and Artist
Water Buffalo art and Artist

The reason we buy art is because it always takes us back to where we have been, the people we met, and the good experiences we had there. Is that not what life is about. Really?
A Good ExperienceA Good Experience
A Good Experience

Yes, it was worthwhile.
Happy StanHappy Stan
Happy Stan

The smile says it all. He agrees. It was worthwhile.


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb