Sanantone in Penang.


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
September 16th 2016
Published: September 20th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Gurney Plaza, Penang.Gurney Plaza, Penang.Gurney Plaza, Penang.

High end wetern style shopping.
Staying at Cititel Hotel, Georgetown, lovely hotel in central location. People are very friendly and helpful. the free shuttle called CAT {central area transit} stops opposite our hotel , its stop 7 and there are 19 stops scattered around the area including the Unesco World Heritage area where there are lots of buildings dating back to british colonial times alomgside temples, mosques and churches. all the buses start from the jetty, they're all very clean and air conditioned including the ones that operate outside the free area. Because we're here for over a week we bought a smartpass which gives us unlimited access on any bus 24/7 for one week at a cost of 30 ringgitts, about $10 AUD. We've been up to the National Park which also goes past the beach area of Batu Ferringhi. it can take a while depending on the traffic. Also caught bus to the funicular railway that takes you uo Penang Hill. Probably best done early before the tourist hoards descend. Be aware you have to purchase a ticket before queueing for the train both of which involve queueing for a considerable time.. The cost for Malays is 10 ringitts, 30 ringitts for foreigners and 60 ringitts if you want to jump the queues!!!!. Apart from starting at the jetty all the buses seem to go via Komtar at Prangin Mall, a large shopping precinct. The 101 which also goes to Batu Ferringhi goes via Gurney Walk and Gurney Mall, an upmarket shopping centre along the Straits. To get to the mainland on the ferry is free for passengers and seems to be free for cars. There is a long landbridge connecting Penang Island to the mainland at Butterworth. The international airport is on the island about half an hours drive from Georgetown depending on traffic. The people here are laid back and very multicultural. Since we've been here the wet weather is moving in during the night and early morning but dry through the day. The temperature has been lovely, never got to 30C max during the day and about 24C min at night. Very pleasant.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0709s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb