Sanantone in Vietnam.


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Da Nang
March 21st 2018
Published: March 31st 2018
Edit Blog Post

We were supposed to depart Gold Coast on Wednesday evening but due to technical difficulties we were delayed until Thursday morning. Air Asia accommodated everyone in a 5 star hotel, Mantra in Kingscliffe which was over the border in NSW therefore one hour ahead of Qld. 5.15am pickup and back to Gold Coast where we left on time. Air Asia provided a nice meal for free as hardly anyone had ordered a meal on the original flight thinking it was an overnight flight. Arrived in Kuala Lumpur about 18 hours late to find a majority of passengers had missed their connecting flights. Air Asia accommodated some in Tune Hotel at airport but we were lucky enough to be relocated to a 5 star Nilia Golf Resort, very nice indeed including a beautiful buffet dinner. There were 13 of us departing for various locations next day. Another early start,4am and back to KLIA2 airport for flight to Ho Chi Minh city. Finally in Vietnam and faced with the terrifying traffic in HCMC ? then booked into Signature Saigon hotel. Mekong Delta tour arranged for next day, very interesting. Firstly visit to Vinh Trang pagoda which the four of us thought our guide was saying crocodile!!!!! It was his pronunciation of pagoda that confused us. Sounds impossible but we all heard "crocodile". Then a boat trip and lunch which was ok. A hand rowed sampan to a fruit and honey tea accompanied by Southern Vietnamese folk music. Nice cruise through the delta and back to hotel late in afternoon. Next day trip to Chu Chi Tunnels, 60klm from HCMC by bus. Really interesting place. Original tunnel system of 220klms where the people hid to escape the destruction, damage and defoliation caused by the bombs. A small section has been enlarged so tourists can only imagine how awful it must have been. Next day fly to Danang though the flight was brought forward and Darrell and Dawn had gone to see the Reunification Palace and had to dash back for the earlier flight. They enjoyed what they had seen. From Danang a bus took us to Hoi An, an ancient port town. Venus Hotel very nice but Tony and I upgraded to deluxe room as standard didn't have a walk in shower and Tony's knee doesn't do step over. Much bigger room with balcony for 10 US dollars extra. Next day bus to My Son pronounced Me Son, a collection of originally 75 temples from 4th century only 3 of which remain after being bombed by the Americans chasing the VC. It started to rain and a dance celebration was cancelled as the Vietnamese PM had died overnight, about the only concession we saw to his passing. The temples are in the process of being renovated or rebuilt. The carvings and sculptures are from the Cham people. Rain stopped so a boat ride on Thu Bon river including a noodle lunch and visit to carpentry factory. had a lovely vietnamese meal at Star Anise Saigon restaurant opposite the hotel, very busy place but excellent food. next day flew to Danang and then minibus to Hoi An staying at Venus Hotel. had a tour to My Son Temple, 4th century. there were originally 75 temples but they were bombed during the war in Vietnam because the Viet Cong were hiding in them, only three survived. it was a drizzly day so a bit sombre looking. Then a small paddle boat trip to a timber factory and shell carving place before trip down the river back to Hoi An. had an easy next day looking roundHoi An, very spectacular at night with all the lanterns reflecting in the river. next day flew Vietnam Airlines to Hanoi staying at Hanoi Sky Hotel in the Old Quarter. found a good restaurant and bar close to the hotel called Puku, nice selection of vietnamese and western. next day long trip by bus to Halong bay, 4 hours, bit bumpy!!!! we'd upgraded to Galaxy deluxe Crises from standard Spirit cruise so boat was docked at pier and we did'nt have to get a tender out. Nice cabin, crew very pleasant though our tour guide was a bit abrupt but probably due to tourist stress!!!! Food was very bland which was disappointing. We were supposed to go to a floating pearl farm but were running late and had to see the pearls seeded at an on shore factory and my colleagues including two more aussies from Melbourne were dismayed when kareoke did'n't happen!!!!! Tony and I did'nt do the trip to cave as we knew we would'nt make the 300 or so steps but Darrell did it although with difficulty but said the view was worth it as was the cave itself. We knew how good it was as we'd done the tour 6 years before. long trip back to Hanoi which had been surprisingly cool during our stay, 17C to 24C. Tony was almost tempted to buy a jacket but decided he could manage for one day as there's no way he'd need it in Thailand. Flew Air Asia back to Bangkok for R&R. Enjoyed Vietnam, would like to see Sapa and more of north includind a place called Nimh Binh which looks very pretty. having trouble uploading photos so I'll just publish this text for now, sorry, not very tech savvy.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb