Off to the Island and onto Thailand


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
October 19th 2008
Published: October 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After arriving on Penang in the middle of the day we had time to explore and relax. We arrived on the weekend of Malaysia's National Day so there was a buzz of excitment about the place as we headed off to the night markets for dinner. After dinner we went to find the celebrations, the city centre roads were closed to cars and the streets were filled with people enjoying the atmosphere, we found an outside bar and took in the atmosphere and awaited the fireworks at midnight.

Day 2 on Penang was full of sightseeing and history of the Island, our guide, a local man, was so full of knowledge of all religions. He took us to Fort Cornwalis, the Thai temple with the 4th longest reclining Buddha as well as the Burmese Temple on the opposite side of the road, which housed one of the highest standing Buddha's!
Both temples we beautiful with colour and light and orinate carvings. The afternoon was spent relaxing and wonder George town shops.

Monday was a travel day into Thailand and up to NahKon Si Thammarat, a very drastic change in wealth and surroundings of the ounrtyside. It felt much poorer but very lush vegetation. The city seemed much dirtier and noiser.
Our afternoon was ours to explore and relax before we went to see the last Shadow Puppet Master, the museum was full of old and worn out puppets on display there are a few main characters that appear in all the shows. The Joker usually with an outstanding trait, fat belly, big nose, big ears etc. the Prince, the God and the Beautiful lady.
The puppet master put on a show for us with a modern twist.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb