Penang


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
August 19th 2008
Published: August 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We took the not so luxurious Thai train to Butterworth and then a ferry across to an island off the West coast of Malaysia called Penang. It is not the most beautiful of places but the main reason for going was to get our visa for Indonesia!

We stayed in Little India (like Tooting only more Indian!) which was really ace. There was loads of yummy food at unbelievably cheap prices and this yummy sweet coffee sold on every street corner.

Whilst waiting for our visas we visited a few of the sites, we went to our first mosque and got to dress up in all the gear which was fun. Then we visited this really weird snake temple which had venomous snakes sitting on the altar, apparently they don't bite because they are drugged from all the burning incense, mmmmmmmmm!! It was really odd! There was also a snake zoo next door which had loads of snakes (obviously!) the tanks weren't very secure and they had a king cobra virtually running lose with a sign up telling you not to touch it, well thanks for that I would have rushed over to cuddle it without that warning!!

We also went to the cinema to see the new Mummy film with the terracota army in the coldish cinema in the world..and Steve had his hair and beard shaved off at an Indian barbers complete with the traditional neck snapping manoevre!

Once we got our visas we headed off on the worlds most luxurious bus to Kuala Lumpur, one step closer to the jungle!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Inside the MosqueInside the Mosque
Inside the Mosque

What a fetching new outfit!
Inside the MosqueInside the Mosque
Inside the Mosque

Steve got confused and dressed up like a monk!
Little IndiaLittle India
Little India

With its yummy food!!
Snakes in the templeSnakes in the temple
Snakes in the temple

I think the incense was working on Steve too coz this is really out of focus!


3rd October 2008

Inside the Mosque
Gangsta!!! Jen you look like your about to start rapping!!!

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb