Little luxury stop in Langkawi


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Langkawi
January 4th 2017
Published: January 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We spent the last two weeks with a basic hard mattress and just what you can qualify as very basic accommodation. So here we are, a little luxury break at the brand new St Regis in Langkawi. What a way to start the New Year!



Tiffany has already had a run at Langkawi before...as the hotel is a big jungle, with some serious place to stay...but we are here just for one night, so no Datai, Four Seasons or Andaman hotel this time for us.



I have to admit, there is something completely crazy to go from one bungalow charged at 1000 bath per night, to one that sells at 36 times that price....for a single night. Little disclaimer, as you can guess, I didn't pay the full price ticket asked on such a room at the St Regis. I did book way before the hotel was open, using a good deals with Startwood points. On top of this you can add the nice complementary upgrade at check-in....and it's another good deal!



With the stay at the St Regis comes a free return airport transfer. We arrived by ferry from Lipe....so the ride was actually closer from the pier to the hotel than from the airport. The St Regis has one Bentley, 3 BMW serie 7s, and few basic vans. All this with complementary transfer for all 89 rooms....and you guess that it's not obvious to get the Bentley ride!



On arrival to Malaysia, the ferry was twenty minutes late. But our friendly immigration staff took another good twenty minutes just to show up, go figure out! It was 2pm...had to stop on the way to buy some duty free decent wine (finally), and a late quick lunch by the KFC. Yes, the Bentley would have to wait 10 minutes for us to finish a KFC....all dressed into our beach gears...kind of some surreal and funny moment.



The hotel is a pretty amazing place...that would be as well in place in any world capital....but who cares, a great bed and nice little suite will do it! We spent 24 hours doing not much. I can't imagine a hotel charging so much for Christmas/New Year period and not even being able to offer a half decent beach. I knew about it ahead...but image if a guest has no idea. Imported white sand from the other side of the island...and once you enter the water, it's basically a puddle of mud! Shame!



With my little SPG card comes few benefits. So yes the wine at the complementary happy hour was seriously decent and complemented by very nice canapes. Yes too, the breakfast was a pretty amazing affair! I don't remember the last time there was free flow of Taittinger for breakfast. We made it like most guests, from 10am till well past 11am, so it was actually nearly time for some decent bubbles!



Little disclaimer about my hotel stays in 2017. You may have heard about the huge merger between Marriott and Starwood happening for the moment. Well, let say in order to maximize my benefits....for myself as well as for our family time in few years when I may have grand-children (not tomorrow!), I need to add a serious amount of nights with Starwood this single year to my stay count! It's call the run for lifetime status....that may or may not happen!



Back to the airport, no Bentley, but still a beautiful ride...and a short flight to our next stop. And if you ask, yes we can do Air Asia with a nice ride to it!



One more time, wishing all of you a Happy New Year....lots of travel...joy...and few bubbles!


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb