A day in Penang, Malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Kelantan
March 31st 2012
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 5.00339, 100.404

Georgetown, named after George the 3rd, is the capital of Penang in Malaysia. It has a huge Chinese population as well as Malays and Indians. The Malays control everything, the Chinese run all the businesses and the Indians do the work but they all seem to get on and there is minimal inter-racial trouble.

The cruise ship shuttle bus dropped us in the middle of town so we then strolled around the centre of the city, wandering around markets and certainly got the feeling that this was a safe place with friendly people. There are large colonial style public buildings and along the Esplanade is Fort Cornwallis which is on the site where Captain Francis Light first landed and established the British colony. It costs a few Ringits to enter but there is not much left apart from a section of imposing wall and a few cannon. Although Georgetown is a UNESCO world heritage site we didn't see much else worthy of note. However apparently Suffolk House, the home of the previous governors, and a Chinese Mansion are worth visiting. In the afternoon we took a taxi up the mountain to the Kek Lok Si Temple. A small funicular takes you up to the level containing the temples, a tiered Pagoda and a huge statue of the Goddess of Mercy. The whole place has examples of beautiful Chinese Buddhist architecture as well as other quirky statues of monkeys, dogs etc, which I presume are those representing the various animals of the Chinese calendar.

There is never enough time on a one day cruise stop to see everything, and all you can do is get a taste of the place. I would like to come back another time. but Stefan wasn't so keen.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb