Morning in Phuket


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
March 30th 2012
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 7.97501, 98.3515

After 2 days sailing from Singapore aboard the Silver Shadow, the ship docked at Phuket in Thailand. We left the ship after breakfast and found a taxi driver we liked the look of and agreed a price of 1500 Baht for 4 hours of his time. First we went to see Wat Chalong, a beautiful temple with golden buddhas and a steeple to climb to the top of.

Next we drove round to the West side to Patong Beach. There is some lush green countryside on the way as we crossed over a hill to reach the busy resort. Here we had a cheap 70 baht beer on the beach. Originally the beaches would have been unspoilt and are clean and wide but are now covered in sun lounges. Fine if you want a cheap holiday in the sun but there are lots of new buildings going up in an already busy resort.

There was the inevitable stop at a Jewellery shop so that the taxi driver could get his tokens for bringing people. Even the official ship's cruise did this stop. Must confess I bought some simple silver ear rings but most of the stuff was too expensive.

The next stop was at the top of Rang Hill which has a view over the city to which we went for a bit more shopping. We both agreed we prefer Koh Samui or Krabi to Phuket as the place is so over developed and crowded but were glad we got a chance to see it for a short while. It was good to get back to the ship for a lovely long lunch before sitting around and relaxing for the rest of the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.44s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1116s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb