Travel Guide to Japan


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo » Harajuku
December 27th 2013
Published: December 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

A holiday to Japan is a step outside of the normal, and into a civilisation that evolved on its own and is stocked full of unique features that make any oriental adventure truly spectacular. The country, made up of a galapigoes of islands, even today is a clash of the modern and the traditional, but all in a warm and welcoming environment.

One of the major features of a trip into Japan is to sample the culture and exotic heritage that makes it stand out from the rest of the world. From the wonder of a historic Geisha Dance in Kyoto to a Zen Rock Garden hidden in the Japanese hills, the country has the power to thrill even the most world-weary visitor. Make sure you spend at least a few nights at a ryokan, or traditional Japanese inn. You will find yourself sitting in a robe, on a woven mat on the floor, eating raw fish from a hand carved bowl. That is before you are encourage to strip naked and enjoy a hot spring bath, or onsen, with a group of wiling strangers – not exactly your usual Tuesday night out.

Most people associate two things with Japan before they have set foot in the country – Karaoke and Sushi. While the bad singing to classic songs is the same there as it is here, it is the food that will surprise you. Sushi in Japan is a world away from what you might be used it. Head to a top restaurant at least once on your trip, and make sure you each as many regional specialties as you can get your hands on. The attention to detail is a wonder to behold, and the flavours are both fresh and surprising.

Some of the best times you will have in Japan will be out of the traditional inns and sumptuous restaurants, out in the fresh air enjoying the fantastic natural surroundings. The Japan Alps are great for hiking, and there are plenty of huts along the way that make several days of walking an easy possibility. The coral reefs of Okinawa are remeniscent of the islands of Thailand, and the outskirts of Kyoto are fabulous for forested mountain.

Japan is famous for its ultra-modern transportation systems, so getting around the country is very easy indeed. The benefits of the high-speed rail system are well known, it is eco-friendly, and thanks to huge amounts of investment, it is also very reliable. The road systems throughout Japan are very well maintained heavily used as a means of travelling from city to city. You will also find yourself using the boats and airports quite a lot to hop between islands. Whatever way you travel in Japan , you can be assured the facilities will be well maintained and the people, as they are throughout Japan, will be welcoming and more than willing to help out.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb