Overland adventures: Cheapest ways to travel through Europe to East Asia


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Bristol County » Bristol
January 3rd 2014
Published: January 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

For centuries, travellers have made the journey through Europe to the Far East, using many routes and methods of transport. From traders taking the Silk Route to budget-conscious travellers taking the Hippie Trail, the overland journey between these two continents has long captured the imagination, and is on many peoples’ to do lists.

Travelling overland from Europe to East Asia can be as easy as you like. You could take buses, trains, boats and hitch-hike your way through different countries, attempt the journey in a campervan, or join an organised overland tour. However, probably the easiest and best value for money method is to take the train all the way. The journey costs from around £500 (about US$800), depending on which class you travel in, and there are a few options as to your route. Don’t forget to also factor in the cost of any necessary visas.

The most famous train route between Europe and East Asia is the Trans-Siberian Railway, which is one of the great rail journeys of the world. The journey takes about six days (or longer if you want to make some stopovers along the way), and you can choose to make the trip from St Petersburg or Moscow to either Beijing or Vladivostok.

The other train service is the Silk Route railway, which heads from Moscow, down through Kazakhstan, to Almaty and Astana, then across the border into China and on to Beijing. This is slightly more complicated, as different sections need to be booked separately, but is a great way to see Central Asia.

There are regular trains connecting Moscow with the rest of Europe, while at the other end, you can continue your adventure to other parts of the Far East. You can take rail services from China most of the way down to Singapore, or catch ferries across to Korea and Japan, while boats also connect Vladivostok with Korea.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb