Nelson Mandela The Long Walk To Freedom London Exhibition


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
January 7th 2014
Published: January 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

As Nelson Mandela’s life and legacy continues to dominate the news, the Belgravia art gallery has chosen to mark his life with a special exhibition dedicated to artwork by the man.

The Belgravia’s relationship with Nelson Mandela began back in 2002, when on hearing Nelson Mandela produced original pieces of art, they invited him to contribute some piece to the gallery for a special programme of work.

Creating pieces on the subject Robben Island, the place where he spent eighteen of his twenty-seven years in incarceration, Mandela’s artworks comprised sketches of these years spent under the repressive regime.

He then began to develop his artwork in his own home, creating minimalist sketches and colour applications under the watchful eye of his art teacher. Many of these sketches were sold via the gallery and all proceeds went towards charities and foundations Mandela supported.

Describing the pieces as ‘fresh, bright and iconic symbols of the struggle in South Africa” the gallery said they were ‘honoured to be chosen as part of the programme”. These historically significant pieces of art are now on display in the gallery.

Alongside the sketches and artworks created by Mandela, the exhibition will also be displaying video footage of him working on his sketches and signing some of the lithographs created. The exhibition also features a printed statement of Mandela’s motivations as an artist.

The exhibition will be featured in the ground floor gallery of The Belgravia, which is located in the art district, close to Piccadilly. Open 10am to 6pm Monday to Friday, and at the weekends by appointment, the gallery is easily accessed via the Mayfair metro stop.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb