Tori, toti and more tori


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Kyoto
December 2nd 2014
Published: December 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our last full day in Kyoto was a rainy day. We have been very lucky with the weather this trip so we did not complain. We had heard of a temple complex that was supposed to be spectacular and trip advisor rated it very highly so we worked out the train to catch and headed off.

The map suggested that this temple was a distance from the station but when we walked out of the station the first thing we saw was a bright orange tori gate at the start of a wide walkway. This was going to be easy. Next to the tori gate was a large bronze statue of a fox with what looked like a golden cob of corn in its mouth. Kind of wierd but definitely fascinating.

At the end of the walkway was a working Shinto temple (most of the temples we had seen previously had been Budhist). We continued to be amazed at the crowds even though it was a wet working day. The temple was mainly painted in the same bright orange as the tori gate, but with the addition of gold ornamentation. Various rites were going on in a number of places and it was obvious that many people were here to worship.

The particular site is famous for its large number of tori gates, so we went looking. Then we found an avenue of tori gates and wandered in. The path under the tori gates led up the mountain and then they got even closer, so it was almost like walking in a bright orange tunnel. Each gate was inscribed with symbols and we wandered what they were about. The path of gates led on and on, with shrines at various intervals.

Eventually we reached a junction point and a concentration of shrines. A map helped us to realise the path of tori gates went up the mountain for another 4km. After a brief debate we decided it was too far in the rain so we headed back down.

After exploring shops in the back streets, many of which contained Shinto related items, we caught the train back to Kyoto station, just in time for lunch.

Greg's internet searching had discovered a shop that dealt in real swords, including extreamly valuable antique swords. Across the road was a hand made art and craft centre, perfect to appease Joan. So this became our quest for the afternoon. The only problem was this was not near any JR train line. After standing in the station, turning our map round and round, trying to work out how to get there, we were about to give up. Suddenly a person from a nearby information booth came over and asked if we needed help. Greg showed the address he had copied down and before we knew it we were being given instructions and pointed in the right direction.

First there was a walk to another rail company line. On the way we stopped to watch a chain of workmen hand passing scaffolding pieces up the face on a nine story building. We opted to walk on the other side of the street as there was no pedestrian protection. After about four stops on that rail line we had another walk. It was still raining and we thought we were on the right street so we kept going. Spotting a bakery (a very rare sight in Japan) we dropped in to purchase some very yummy looking buns. As we stepped back onto the street an idea struck and Greg ducked back into the bakery to check if we were on the right street. We were and the young lady told us we only had another 200 metres to go.

The art and craft shop featured damask work done in pure gold and silver - a bit too expensive and not really our style. It also featured wood block prints and some very stunning pearl jewellery. But Greg was being pulled to the shop on the other side of the street.

This was a real sword shop. There were wooden swords for Kendo practice and displays of samurai armour along with high quality replica swords. However the main treat was found upstairs where the real swords were displayed. These were all hand forged and included full authentication. Unfortunately they were also very expensive, starting at about $12,000. Getting one home through customs might also be difficult without first obtaining permission to import a weapon. So Greg had to depart empty handed, but still satisfied that he had seen the real thing in its country of origin.

Tomorrow we leave Kyoto for Osaka and our final stay before heading home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Yes they are hand passing scaffolding up the side of the building.Yes they are hand passing scaffolding up the side of the building.
Yes they are hand passing scaffolding up the side of the building.

Note the guy in the middle giving Joan the Japanese response to a photo - the peace symbol. When Joan responded he waved.
Checking the menu.Checking the menu.
Checking the menu.

There always seemed to be multiple menus, in this case about six. What to choose?
Our beer came with snacks.Our beer came with snacks.
Our beer came with snacks.

Was the pink item on the right really pickled fish innards? Tasted fishy, texture was about right, do we really want to know? Ate it anyway.


2nd December 2014

another one we've been to!
Loved the Fushimi-Inari temple. We didn't make it all the way up the mountain, either. Took tons of photos, though.. I think there's one on our Christmas card (need to get those in the mail soon...). Cheers!

Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb