The Ancient Wonders of Yogyakarta: Borobudur and Prambanan


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java
April 1st 2013
Published: October 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

It is possible to visit both the Borobudur and Prambanan Temples in one day, despite what some tour operators or freelance guides may tell you. In fact, I have even met a tourist who made a day trip from Bali to Yogya to visit these two incredible temples and returned to Bali in the evening.

For those who are interested in photography, it is best to start the journey early in the morning, as Borobudur is best seen at sunrise from a village facing the Merapi. To make the most of the day, Prambanan can be visited in the afternoon until the sunset.

Borobudur is a Buddhist temple built in the shape of a pyramid around 800AD. It was abandoned in the 14th century and was later discovered buried under volcanic ash. It is believed to have been built around 300 years before Angkor Wat in Cambodia and is home to more than 500 Buddha statues. It has since been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and is open from 6:00am - 5:00pm with admission for foreigners costing USD20.00.

Sunrise tickets for foreigners cost IDR380,000.00 and include tea, coffee, and a light meal. It is also possible to hire a local guide within the temple for around Rp75,000.00. Private car services or cars with drivers can also be hired in Yogyakarta for this tour.

Visiting Borobudur is an absolute must for anyone visiting Java Island, as it is a truly remarkable and awe-inspiring experience.

After visiting the majestic Borobudur, we are heading back towards Yogyakarta to explore the Prambanan Temple, a Hindu temple built during the 9th century by the Mataram Kingdom.

This site is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is incredibly vast, so it is recommended to set aside a full day to explore the temple areas. To avoid the crowds, it is best to arrive before 9:00am, and you can leave before lunch or at lunchtime.

Visitors must wear a safety helmet to enter the main Shiva temple, and the late afternoon is a great time to visit as the place has a beautiful view during sunset.

Prambanan Temple is located near Klaten, Yogyakarta, and Solo, and is easily accessible by taxi from Yogyakarta for around IDR70,000.00 one way. The temple is open from 7:30am - 5:30pm, and admission for foreigners costs USD18.00. A combination Borobudur-Prambanan admission fee is USD30.00.

For more information, please visit http://borobudurpark.com


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb