Borobudur


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Java » Yogyakarta
December 8th 2006
Published: January 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yogajakarta- We came here to see the Borobudor and the Prambanan. We did not tour the city and elected to use a guide. We felt being interior Java, which is mostly Muslim and their general dislike of the USA (Scott of course is Canadian but really by seeing and hearing us who can tell the difference) that we would keep a low profile. Our guide told us it as perfectly safe in Yogajakarta for tourists but in Solo (30km away) that it could be dangerous. Do radicals not own cars? Such a short distance to claim complete safety.
Considered the greatest Buddhist temple the Borobudur has the largest Buddhist stupa created. The giant bell shaped structure sits on the top of several tiers ringed with smaller stupas. Each stupa once contained a seated Buddha statue though most were destroyed. As Buddhism decreased in Java the temple was abandoned and the relief carvings that surrounded the walls were buried under other rocks as parts of the exterior were transformed into a new temple. It wasn't until the British took over the island that the temple was rediscovered and slowly unburied. The stupa, a major symbol in Buddhism represents a crucible that holds the body as the top spire points to the sky where enlightenment is attained. Buddhist that visits the temple has ritual whereby they circle each tier clockwise before stepping up to the next level. Unfortunately the Buddhist statue that would have inhabited the large final stupa was removed to the museum for safekeeping when the temple was restored.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb