Ubud here we come


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
August 16th 2009
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

What a journey so far!

Today was our last day in Jimbaran 😞 It has been SO nice here at the Jamahal. All the people were amazing. Every employee greeted us by our names whenever they saw us or even when we called, some of them even recognized our voices over the phone - they were just that good. Always asking us if we need anything or if everything is ok and with huge smiles! Such a great place. We were kinda sad to leave but were looking forward to going to Ubud to The Viceroy. We had late checkout today at 1 pm so we had some time to relax in the villa.

First stop on our agenda, Elephant riding in Bakas. Awesome experience. The elephants are from another island in Indonesia called Sumatra, our guide was also from there, he came over here to help the elephants with the transition and ended up staying to be the head trainer here. Our elephant was the youngest of the bunch. His name was Doni and he was only 12 years old. We took a trail on the side of a mountain and through a small village. We really enjoyed this place.

After that we went to a local shopping mall where our driver Dewa actually goes. Alan liked one of his shirts so we asked him to take us where he got it. It was like an Indonesian Walmart! 4 floors and each floor was a different thing, there was a grocery store on the first level then restaurants and bakeries on the second, shoes on the third, and clothes on the fourth. We were just about the only non-locals in the place and everyone was looking at us like what are they doing here haha, it was fun. We bought some traditional Indonesian cakes to try, made of rice flour and bananas.

We had asked Dewa to take us to a Mosque and it was our next stop. The people there were so friendly and they let us go upstairs and pray, there must have been a some sort of program going on b/c there were alot of people downstairs. They were so sweet and thanked us for coming and even took some pictures with us 😊

After that we headed to the hotel. On the way there was a parade going on for Independence day with all the local elementary school aged children. There was a marching band and so many children following with bamboo torches - it was crazy, the small children had spray bottles of kerosene in their hands and would spray the torches to light them up! some even had bottles of it and they would spit fire! we got the whole thing on our camcorder and will try to upload the video. - ok the video didn't work we are still figuring it out, if anyone knows what program we need to upload .mts files please let us know! we did take pictures with the camcorder as well and have those for you all.

Finally the Viceroy! It was getting dark by the time we arrived but they greeted us with leis of frangipani and cold iced tea to drink. We checked in and they drove us by golf cart to our villa, the view is amazing - it is set on the side of a cliff overlooking a valley and rice paddies.

Love you all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

our 3 fav ppl are to the leftour 3 fav ppl are to the left
our 3 fav ppl are to the left

everyone was so nice!!
selamat jalan!selamat jalan!
selamat jalan!

have a safe journey


17th August 2009

Elephant Riders
WOW, Now you guys have elephant driving Licence. Oh by the way Alan where you learned all those tricks for elephant handling. You both by the grace of Almight look good. It was really really nice to hear both your voice. I wish I had more time, but my meeting had just started and everyone was waiting for me. You know I am confused most of the time, but this time I had reason ha ha ha. How far is the UBUD from Jimbran, look like it took you guys long time to get there. How is the landscape and people ? Well enjoy the wonderful days in Bali, we miss you, but also happy to see that you are really enjoying your trip. May God Almighty keep you safe, and happy now and always. Love ya 5 Abu Jee
17th August 2009

Wow
Wow, looks like quite an adventure! So cool. Luv, Laurie
18th August 2009

WOW
wow!!!! tht looks like so much fun!!!

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb