Happy Independence Day!


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali
August 17th 2009
Published: August 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today was our first full day in Ubud and it also happened to be Indonesia's Independence day. We left the resort at 9 a.m. and headed to the Ayung river to go white water rafting. WOW doesn't even begin to explain it! what an experience. The river was absolutely beautiful. We were rafting at the bottom of a valley between lush green mountains covered in palm trees. It truly was a surreal experience. Along the way there were several water falls we stopped at and we were able to get out and swim a bit. Also along the way, the local village people would set up little huts to sell drinks out of to the people rafting. They cut open a coconut for us and we shared the milk. The trip was done after about 2 1/2 hours and then they had lunch for us at the end. All the people were so nice!

After we left the river we wanted to go look at some local artwork. Dewa knew of a couple galleries that have good quality artwork. Driving through the streets of Ubud we could not help but notice how different the landscape is in Ubud compared to what it was in Jimbaran. Since we are now up in the mountains, the streets are much more curvy and winding. They are lined with little boutiques of all different types. Restaurants are tucked away on every corner all with many different large trees keeping a pleasant environment wherever you are on this island. Service has always been with a smile every place we have gone. It is quite a pleasant feeling just being here 😊 We ended up finding a nice painting for our apartment at the third gallery we went to.

After the long day on the river and shopping for artwork, we decided it was time for a massage. Another massage!! haha. Something there is not a lack of on this island. There are spas on every corner! This time we wanted to try out one of the smaller spas outside of the resort and see what they had to offer. It turned out great! We both had a 1 1/2 hour massage for $12 each!! The massages finished, we were so relaxed, and ready for dinner. Dewa suggested a local place he knew of named Indus that had good food and was a fair price. We were up for it. Ends up it was salsa night! So we enjoyed another great dinner (we had simosas) and watched couples get out and salsa dance to a live band that was playing. It was a great end to a long day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

ini sangat indahini sangat indah
ini sangat indah

translation - this place is beautiful
all cleaned upall cleaned up
all cleaned up

look at the papaya growing on the tree behind him


18th August 2009

We forgot
to mention the chicken fight that we stopped by for a little bit. This was so wild. So many people showed up to fight their chickens. We wont get into detail of how it took place. I am sure most of you know how it happens. Some serious culture that is for sure.
18th August 2009

Looks like you all are continuing to have lots of fun! And the massages, oh I am so jealous! :-) I just loved the photos of the elephant rides! I bet that was a blast. Thanks for the daily updates. We love you both!! Mom
18th August 2009

AWWW
Awwww! looks like yall r having a blast !

Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0172s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb