Day 28 - Dhavari - Mumbai Slums


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India
August 15th 2014
Published: August 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day 28 - Dhavari - Mumbai Slums
I was up and about at 6.30, but didn't wake Jude this morning, she just looked so peaceful. I pottered about until about 11, then gave Jude a nudge. She was funny when she woke up; a bit startled, and quite shocked by the time! We were soon ready and out for breakfast.
We set off to the local Indian place for Dosa and Lassi.
We sat reading the Lonely Planet to arrange our for activity for today. We selected visiting either Dhavari, or Karn.... Caves. We struggled with the organising due to no phones, and the fact that it is India Independence Day today, so the visit to Mani Bhavan - Ghandi House, where he started his 'Quiet India Movement', yesterday, was really relevant!
Finally, we took help from the guy at the Hotel. He telephoned and booked us in to The Dharvaro - Slum Tour. He was very helpful, and also arranged our transport, bless him!
We met with the Reality stour guide near the train station. Two Kiwis joined us, the tour began!
Dharavi is the heart of small scale industry in Mumbai. It is also known as the 'largest slum in Asia,' but there is much more to this historic area of Mumbai than poverty. Dharavi's industries have an huge turnover through a wide range of industries like: recycling, pottery-making, embroidery, bakery, soap factory, leather tanning, poppadom-making and many more. Most of these things are created in innovative ways and in very small spaces!
When passing through the residential spaces, you could feel the sense of community and spirit that exists in the area. Dharavi is very diverse. This is apparent in the temples, mosques and churches that stand side by side. We wove through dark, narrow alleys, treading over open sewers, through a very small, close knit housing maze, in a tightly supportive community. ... And... The houses were well cared for inside, very clean! You can't help yourself from being enlightened to the sense of the purpose and determination that exists in the area.
I find it hard to describe it as a slum; I would call it an industrious, self respecting city. Nothing like what I expected!
After returning to Chembur, we had a short list of jobs to do. One if them being, Jude wanted her Punjabi dress altering, and a zip putting in. After accosting various men on sewing machines, without any luck; Jude marched into the poshest dress shop, with about 10 men serving, not only did she get a brilliant job done, she also got it done for free .... Lol Go Jude, confidence soaring!
We had a huge Delux Thalia with extra naan to finish the day off!
We are back at the hotel chilling to relax off our huge meal before venturing back out again. The streets are really full and busy tonight due to people having family time, after a day off work for Independence Day !



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.32s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb