Borderline Logic in the Time of Covid


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Uttar Pradesh » Sunauli
December 17th 2022
Published: December 17th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Sunauli Dec 13th2022



Few are those among men who have crossed over to the other shore, while the rest of mankind runs along the bank. However those who follow the principles of the well-taught Truth will cross over to the other shore, out of the dominion of Death, hard though it is to escape.”

Buddha



Smile, breathe, and go slowly”

Thic Nath Hanh



For reasons that I am yet to comprehend, when I received my one year/ multiple entry Tourist Visa for India in Sydney, Australia, it had a stipulation that I was only allowed to spend 90 days maximum continuously in India. That meant that although my visa was valid, I had to leave India and return again after 90 days if I wanted to continue my travels. Not only does the sense of this escape me, it is also inconsistently applied.... I met a woman at Sydney Airport when I was flying out to India who had received her visa from Melbourne which stipulated that she was allowed to spend 180 day maximum continuously.



Anyway, having accepted that this was how it was, and sure
Nepalese Immigration at BanbasaNepalese Immigration at BanbasaNepalese Immigration at Banbasa

A case of too much technology is hardly enough... or is that far too much?
that I wanted spend at least 6 months in India on this trip, I planned how best (for me) I would manage this. Being in the northern state of Rajasthan, a quick trip to Nepal would be the closest and cheapest way to do it. I had reason to be in Delhi at the end of my 90 days, and from there it is a mere 320 km ride to the small Uttrakund border with Nepal (the western side of Nepal at a town called Banbasa).



At the outset, I am not saying that there is necessarily more madness than usual afoot in the ways of visas and border control in India or in the world generally at this time. Just I am reporting my latest 'mad' experiences.



Post the Covid lockdowns when things were opening up again in India for foreign tourists, crossing land borders to enter India was forbidden (only entry by flight was permitted). Then things started to relax more since September 2022. I did as much research about all this as I could... there existed one information memo on the internet issued by the Government of India. That and other information gained from other travellers 'informed' me with confidence that I could cross into Nepal by bike, stay a day, and cross back again through Banbasa. That would allow me the shortest route back to Rajasthan where I wanted to settle for a few months in Pushkar.



And so I had a Plan A.



I got the border and successfully exited India on my way to entering Nepal and THEN.... The Indian Immigration Official told me that I would not be permitted to re-enter India through the Banbasa border.



“Why?”

“Covid rules”



As much as I tried to have this unpacked with some good reason, the only answer remained:



“This is the rule”.



I looked out the window at the hundreds of Indians and Nepalese crossing back and forth on the small border road, unchallenged.



OK then, time for a Plan B.



But first let me digress with the Nepalese Immigration procedure. Simple enough: one was to pay a fee of US$30 for a minimum 15 day visa, do an on-line application for a visa, and then go to Customs up the road to get a 'ticket' for the bike for however many days I wanted to stay in Nepal. First of all, and without warning, one could only pay the visa fee in CRISP and CLEAN American Dollars or Euros. Luckily I had a pretty neat and new US$50 note in my wallet and was able to give that and get a US$20 note back in change. Phew. Not sure what I would have had to do if I did not happen to have this currency handy.



I muse: perhaps this policy is Nepal's attempt to stop money laundering... clean money is clean already 😊



I happened to meet a Japanese guy named Tanaka at the Indian Immigration who then turned up behind me (I was quicker on my bike.. he was walking) at the Nepalese Immigration. He also had American Dollars (he needed US$50 for his 30 day visa) BUT... they were not crisp and clean enough for the officer. The office by the way was a small house with just this one guy in attendance (but he had to be summoned from a bedroom). He spoke little English but enough to deny Tanaka's US dollars. Luckily I had a crisp new Euro50 note which I swapped for Tanaka's 'not crisp and clean enough' US dollars.



He also told us to use our phones to do the visa application on-line. Again luckily (without pre-warning about this) I happened to have an Indian pre-paid SIM with internet data that still worked at the border. Tanaka had none. So I hot-spotted him to do his.



The official then said we needed to wait for the boss to arrive. Half an hour later the boss arrives and tries to turn on his PC to process our applications. BUT... the internet was down. SO.... I hot-spotted him from my Indian SIM data so that he could process us. BUT … the on-line applications we had done were not showing. SO... we sat at his PC and redid them direct.



I offered to pillion Tanaka on the bike to the nearest Nepalese town (Mahendranagar) 6 km away where we would find a place to stay the night (it was getting dark). We found the wonderful Hotel Apee... with the amiable Ranjeet running the show. Clean and comfy and reasonably priced room and (eventually) with hot water to boot.



So my Plan B was to ride 250 km east along the Southern part of Nepal to the next bigger border with India at Nepalganj. After two nights in Mahendranagar (I needed a lay-over day after all the riding I had been doing from Rajasthan to Delhi to Nepal) I set off and reached this border.



Picture if you will the crowds entering the stadium for the World Cup Final. That was the scene at this border. Thousands of people crossing over. I proceeded to do the same on my bike... an Indian Officer stopped me and directed me to the side... a Senior Officer arrived, examined my passport and said



“Not possible to cross into India here”.

“Why?”

“Covid rules”

“What?”

“Covid rules”.



I looked at him in disbelief. I noted that he and his colleagues were obviously putting their lives at risk being so close to me (a foreigner) without a mask in sight. I looked at the crowds still crossing... I looked back at the Officers...



“How far to the NEXT border?”

“300 km”



And so there was a Plan C. It was already getting late so I rode about 120 km and stopped for the night in a delightful little place in a clean and comfortable reasonably priced family-run Guest House where the extended family of brothers and sisters and grandparents and grandkids and cousins and uncles and aunts all worked downstairs in a an extensive and obviously flourishing triple restaurant (three besides each other, each kind of specialising in certain tasks and foods and sharing resources where needed). I enjoyed the rest of the evening playing with the kids and sitting with Hari, the guy I was dealing with.



Plan C saw me setting out again the next morning for the next BIG border... Sonauli. On the way I had to transverse a Tiger National Park. I was stopped at the entrance to wait until there was an escort to take me and half a dozen other locals on bikes through... in case we were attacked by a tiger.



At Sonauli, where again there were thousands of Nepalese and Indians wandering across the border, and after again being sent to the side for passport examination, I was allowed back into India. I speculated that perhaps the ground there was somehow decontaminated from 'foreigner borne' Covid or something.



The whole trip from Mahendranagar to Sonauli was a road I had used back in 2015 when I returned to India by bike via Banbasa. The huge difference this time was that there were at least 10 Police Checkpoints along the way (there were NONE in 2015). I was stopped half a dozen times.. but just for them to ask where I was going, and then waved on. Something is happening politically in Nepal and I am not sure what.



SO... finally I was back in India. At the Indian Immigration Office it was all easy and straight forward. The big difference too that I noticed was that the officer I dealt with was a very different type of Indian official than that I was used to... He was a young relaxed casually spoken guy with excellent English who might have otherwise been on a work experience placement from some Western country. I am used to officials who are straight up and down, will not engage in relaxed conversation, who seem to be nervous about not strictly following tight rules or being admonished by some Senior tucked away somewhere in another room. Something is happening in India....



This guy was very sympathetic to my plight and agreed that the rules were silly. Now that's a first.



I figured that my trip to Nepal had added 1,000 kms to the original Plan A. By this time I was so far east in the country that Varanasi was the logical next stop on my extended ride back to Pushkar. Not a bad option (I do love that place) for a few days respite.



Whatever was happening in India, it certainly is not that logic is being applied to the “Covid rules”.

Advertisement



17th December 2022

Visa fun :)
So you crossed the border just a hop, step and a jump from where I lived in Bhairawa (Siddharthanagar) in Nepal and directly in line with Lumbini!!! Well done :)
18th December 2022

Mahendranagar ke pas?
Truly.. you mean you were way over near the Uttrakund border close to Mahendranagar? I always thought you were more around the Chitral area... there ya go. Anyway.. now in Chitrakoot on my way back to Pushkar x
17th December 2022

LOVED THE QUOTE
I’ve not heard that quote about crossing to the other shore while others stay on the bank. It touched me.
18th December 2022

crossing over
Ha... was just looking for something that rang out about crossing borders... but glad it touched you. I am mindful that what Gautama taught was pretty simple when it all boils down... but hard to do (requires application/ practice/ discipline). Rewards are there although rewards ought not to be sought. How are you Amanda? Have a pleasant Christmas... I think there is at least on grandchild in your life now right? We ought to catch up next time I am back.. which is March 11 by the way. Hope all is well. x
17th December 2022

India...
illogical officialdom is one reason I avoid India!
17th December 2022

logic and frustration
Yes... well there's two points here... one is that India is so keen to attract tourists and yet seems to make it so hard (and turns people like you off). The second is that it does provide one with an intense sense of challenge to all that we hold as 'constant' and 'known' and 'controllable'. For that to be a positive thing or not depends on one's mind journey I suppose .... all good if not very challenging. :)
17th December 2022

Crisp, Clean Dollars
Money changers and officials in Myanmar also wanted new, clean bills, with no creases and no marks. In return I got some of the filthiest money I have ever seen. It was so dirty that whenever I opened my wallet I could smell it. With all the problems besetting Myanmar, I doubt that clean currency is at the top of their list.
18th December 2022

Clean Money
Ha... maybe it's about wiping out money laundering... no dirty money ... Hm... have to think about that one. Joking of course. What's your next trip (or are you on one)?
18th December 2022

What an extraordinary route around a simple thing as a re-entry. You must be incredibly patient. Lucky for Tanaka he meets up with souls like you!
18th December 2022

Tanaka a treat
Hi Jane Well.. Tanaka was such a nice 'meet'... we spend the evening and next morning together. Sometimes you just meet the most interesting people on the road... but yes, one has to offer oneself to be open to what then comes back at you .. so it all worked out nicely. Thanks for the comment... Me patient? Hm... I am not always but I 'adjust' the reactions having retrieved my attention from the ego attachment and realising it's all relative and 'let's carry on and let it be'. Anyway.. finally on my way back to Pushkar.. Back in Australia March 11.... Happy Christmas
22nd December 2022

Patience
Paul Great story. Poor you. I would have melted down at the first checkpoint. Hope you have a merry Christmas and safe trip home
24th December 2022

Home leg (well my India home for now)
Thanks Warwick... So having made a trip of it, I am returning to Pushkar tomorrow (yes... riding on christmas day which is really just another day here). Pushkar is a place I have spent months at a time and first visited in 1983. I'll stay put there for maybe 2 months this time... enough long bike trips for a while :) . Merry Christmas,
7th January 2023

Determination
Once again a world traveler confronts unfounded BS and finds a solution. I was shaking my head as I read the mess you were in. Welcome back to India.
7th January 2023

The Solution
So the solution of course was to just let it be and go with it... perception is everything :) In the end it was a nice trip of my making vs a complete hassle :))
6th March 2023

Crossing on foot?
Great post! Couldn't find anything recent about the Banbasa border except for this. Seems like it should be possible to cross into Nepal from Banbasa by foot? And any idea if they'll let me walk through bardiya national park? Planning to walk across Nepal in April. Thanks :)
2nd April 2023

Crossing by foot
Hi Aaron. Well in December when I rode across at Banbasa, it was certainly OK to cross by foot too. I met Tanaka (the Japanese guy mentioned in the blog) who had just done so. I doubt that will ever NOT be the case (pending another pandemic lockdown of course)... so go for it. As for walking in the National Park... is that the one I got escorted through because of the tigers? If so, then I think there might be limitations for you to just walk through there alone... in case you got eaten (they would not like that to happen on their watch :) ) . Good luck.

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb