Paul Joseph Drielsma

mahadev

Paul Joseph Drielsma

“Traveler, there is no path. Paths are made by walking”
Antonio Machado



Africa » Morocco » Tangier-Tétouan » Chefchaouen March 12th 2019

Chefchaouen, Rif Mountains Morocco February 2019 “Blues is a tonic for whatever ails you. I could play the blues and then not be blue anymore.” B. B. King “No water, no life. No blue, no green.” Sylvia Earle “The birds they sang at the break of day, Start again I heard them say. Don't dwell on what has passed away. Or what is yet to be.” Leonard Cohen, Anthem Chefchaouen (35.1695 -5.2685) was founded in 1471 as a small kasbah fortress to fight off the invading Portuguese. It is 113 km south-east of Tangier and is nestled at the base of the Rif Mountains (best known as for the production of Moroccan hashish). After the 1492 Spanish expulsion, many Jews settled in Chefchaouen. It was also part of Spanish Morocco from 1920 until the independence in ... read more
Bab Suk outside my hotel room on market day
Neighbourhood fountain Chefchaouen medina
Dutch Peter on our trek above Chefchaouen

Africa » Morocco » Meknès-Tafilalet » Meknes March 11th 2019

Meknes, Alto Atlas, Morocco January 2019 “When you do something, if you fix your mind on the activity with some confidence, the quality of your state of mind is the activity itself. When you are concentrated on the quality of your being, you are prepared for the activity.” Shunryu Suzuki, Zen Mind Beginner's Mind “The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection.” Michelangelo “Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.” Salvador Dali “Ethics is the activity of man directed to secure the inner perfection of his own personality.” Albert Schweitzer Meknes (33.89352 -5.54727) is located in northern central Morocco close to Fez and is one of the four Imperial cities of the country. It was established as a military site by the Almoravids in the 11th cent... read more
Master furniture maker
Tile artisan at work
Wood carver at work

Africa » Morocco » Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz » Ourika Valley February 21st 2019

Imlil, Alto Atlas, Morocco February 2019 ' “I have seen nothing more weird or miraculous than myself. Over time we may get used to strange things. But the more I probe myself and know myself, the more my oddity astonishes me, and the less I understand who I am.” Michel de Montaigne,On Presumption “I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.” Plato's Socratic Paradox, The Republic “Being at ease with not knowing is crucial for answers to come to you.“ Eckhart Tolle “Not knowing anything is the sweetest life.” Sophocles “The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next.” Ursula K. Le Guin “In the beginner’s mind there are many pos... read more
Main street through Imlil
Side street tourist shops
With Mohammed under his little room

Africa » Morocco » Souss » Tafraoute January 23rd 2019

Tafraout, Anti Atlas, Morocco December 2018 – January 2019 “You are the sky. Everything else – it’s just the weather.” Pema Chödrön “Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you.” Neil Finn, Crowded House “Loneliness is the human condition.. that.. tunnels into you .. and.. allows your soul room to grow.” Janet Fitch “I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone.” Robin Williams Tafraout (30.47028 -8.87695) is a small regional centre in Tiznit Province, Souss-Massa region of Morocco, in the central part of the Anti-Atlas mountains. It is 386 km south of Marrakesh. The population is around 6,000. It's off the ma... read more
Tafraout morning colour palette
Downtown Tafraout
Rock focus on Tafrout

Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Kinnaur June 24th 2018

Kalpa Kinnaud District, Himachal Pradesh, India June 2018 “Om gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha” The Great Tibetan Mantra “Since death alone is certain and the time of death uncertain, what should I do?” Reflective meditation … Stephen Batchelor in 'Buddhism Without Beliefs. A contemporary guide to awakening' Definition of the word 'Kalpa': “An immense period of time (over 4,000 million years) considered to be the length of a single cycle of the cosmos (or 'day of Brahma') from creation to dissolution” Kalpa is a small town sitting high above the Sutlej river valley, requiring a 20 km ride up from the main road that heads north towards Spiti Valley. The local Kinnauri people practice a mix of Hinduism and Buddhism... read more
Anshwin's place in the main square
Old buildings falling in disrepair
Oranate house carving

Asia » Cambodia » North August 28th 2017

Battambang, Cambodia August 28th 2017 “It is better to travel well than to arrive” Buddha “Few things are as exciting as the idea of travelling somewhere else. But the reality of travel seldom matches our daydreams” Allain de Botton My smartphone weather predictor tells me there is 70% chance of rain today. And as I conclude my pre-dawn rituals, I discover that the 30% chance of no-rain is not going to come true. Even so, I decide to go ahead with my plan to rent a motor-scooter at 8 am and head out to Phnom Sampov. I already have a premonition that in my weird state of mind I am not going to be swept off my feet by any 'attractions' that all media about Battambang tells me are 'must do' things here. But it's just ... read more
Entrance to a cave
The Buddha grove
Even Buddha has to sleep

Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh August 26th 2017

Phnom Penh, Cambodia August 20th “Vulnerability is the essence of romance. It's the art of being uncalculated, the willingness to look foolish, the courage to say, 'This is me, and I'm interested in you enough to show you my flaws with the hope that you may embrace me for all that I am but, more important, all that I am not.' “ Ashton Kutcher “If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.” Epictetus “The fool who thinks he is a fool is for that very reason a wise man; But the fool who thinks he is a wise man is rightly called a fool” Siddhartha Gautama My smartphone weather predictor tells me the chance of rain today is 80%. Only my second day in Cambodia, and I was aimlessly walking through ... read more
Monks emerging to beg for food
Inside the Wat Phnom
Morning time at the Royal Palace

Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Kullu June 24th 2017

Himachal Pradesh June 2017 “...the freedom of awakening is a relative freedom from the constraints of self-centered confusion and turmoil, from the craving for a fixed identity, from the compulsion to contrive a perfect situation, from identification with preconceived opinions, and from the anguish that originates from such attachments. …..The freedom of awakening is grounded in the cessation of craving. Such freedom is possible because the changing, contingent, ambiguous, and creative character of reality is by its very nature free. Stephen Batchelor 'Buddhism without Belief' I am on the last leg of my trip. And the last blog of this series. What lays before presents a mind and courage challenge for me, as I have bad memories of coming on this part of the road the ot... read more
After Kunzum Pass
One of the waterways to cross
Looking back to Kunzum and Spiti from the beginning of Rhotang Pass

Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Spiti Valley June 24th 2017

Himachal Pradesh June 2017 “The basis of peace of mind is to be content with what one has and thus to be in harmony with the world at large.... The root of light is Nothingness The source of all movement is Stillness The source of all sound is Silence” Ramesh Balsekar 'Advaita on Zen and Tao' “The primordial purity of the ground completely transcends words, concepts, and formulations” Jamgon Kongtrul 'Myriad Worlds' I have entered a veritable moonscape on my way to Losar. Both the vistas and the changing light bring me into glimpses of awareness.... of relativity... of the reality of now and the bliss of just being in a place in time that defies description. I have only myself to share this with, apart from the phenomenon of writing about it here. The landscapes ... read more
Gladys taking rest on the way to Losar
Fit for a turkey box slide
Massive installation art

Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Spiti Valley June 23rd 2017

Himachal Pradesh June 2017 “Zen teaches vigilant carelessness and detached involvement. In a more high-sounding phrase, it teaches transcendental ordinariness. In a simpler, more sympathetic phrase, it teaches nothing but ordinariness.” Yoel Hoffman: 'The sound of the one hand' Mudh is at the end of Pin Valley which is an offshoot of Spiti Valley. It's a tiny place that has become yet another reachable destination in this moonscape that is Spiti. The road meanders alongside the relatively slow running and dispersed Pin River and one imagines it when frozen in the middle of a dark winter. On the way here, about 15 km before Mudh, I view a Buddhist monastery up a side road and decide to take a look. Besides the newer monastery building are the original monastery halls full of o... read more
Inside the old Buddhist hall at the monastery
More from the old monastery
The village of Mudh




Tot: 1.121s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 17; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:saturn w:www (104.131.125.221); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb