Underneath the Banyan Tree


Advertisement
Published: May 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We had a very relaxing stay in Ranthambore National Park over the past few days, relaxing and going on safari. The drive from Jaipur was a little...hectic, but we made it ok.

The place we were staying in had a pool, so that was the first stop. We relaxed for the rest of the day, mostly near the pool, and checked out a wedding that was going on near our hotel at night. It was right in the middle of the street, with a band and dancing. It was certainly an experiance.

The next afternoon (after a fair amount of pool time) we got in a canter (an open air bus that seats 25) and headed into the park. We saw a tiger (albeit from a distance), monkeys, a few different types of deer, some storks, peacocks (the national bird of India), and a whole bunch of other birds. Just the landscape alone was amazing.

We drove to Agra the next morning (yesterday), back through the desert. On the way we got an amazing look at village life in rural Rajasthan, which was an eye opener. We will post pictures so you can see what we mean.
Birds of a featherBirds of a featherBirds of a feather

Little known fact: peacocks meow


There were countless riverbeds that were bone dry, and villagers praying for rain. We were told that the monsoon has become more and more unpredictable in recent years because of climate change. People live off of well water for now, but there is no saying how long that will last...

This morning we got up early to catch the Taj Mahal at sunrise. It was definitely a good idea since the crowds were smaller, and the heat wasn't as bad. It was quite nice, but unfortunately, exactly like it looks in the post cards. The surprise was somewhat lost, but it was nevertheless worth the trip. There isn't much inside, so its more of the outer architecture that is the attraction, and the surrounding gardens and mosques.

We hit up breakfast after the Taj, checked out and headed to the Agra fort, which was once the capital of Mughal India and was the home to many Kings and Princes. We then explored some of the local shops and bazaars. Agra's specialties are Marble inlaid with semi-precious stone (like the Taj Mahal) and carpets. So...we bought some of each. For some mysterious reason, the load is getting heavier
Heidi on SafariHeidi on SafariHeidi on Safari

tiger spotting
and heavier every day.

Right now we are wasting time before our night train leaves at 8:30 which will take us close to the Nepal border. From there we get on a bus up to Pokhara. We will be chilling out there, soaking up the mountain views, for a week or so. We may venture off into the Annapurna range for a little trek, but we will judge that when we see the mountains.

We added pictures to the last two posts: Scenes from the Rajasthani desert and Week 1: Things we have learned so far... . We will try to keep as up to date on the photos as possible.

UPDATE: We have had a power failure, and in order to not waste the generator energy, we will have to finish posting pictures when we get to Pokhara. Love to you all...
xo


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Get back here....Get back here....
Get back here....

A little boy and his water buffalo in rural Rajasthan
On the way to the marketOn the way to the market
On the way to the market

The saris really stand out against the desert
A whole lot of nothingA whole lot of nothing
A whole lot of nothing

The Rajasthani country side
David trying his hand at carpet-makingDavid trying his hand at carpet-making
David trying his hand at carpet-making

...this could take a while


9th May 2007

you are slowly chaning my mind....
about having India on my "to do" list. Great notes. I expect the will stop while oyu're in Nepal. Enjoy............Love, Dad
11th May 2007

love those colours
fabulous photos...thanks for lettingus know you are safe and having fun...Love Mom...xoxxoxoxoxo

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0164s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb