On the road to Pushkar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Pushkar
April 7th 2005
Published: January 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

All by myself!All by myself!All by myself!

Pictured with those two scary mannequins...
Long, hot, sweaty bus
With criminals and shackles
Packed in like sardines.

Basically a big transportation day to get to Pushkar. A jeep ride and then a six hour bus ride in hot, sweaty, cramped quarters. You really get to know your neighbours quickly! It actually wasn't too bad since I was plugged into my tunes and we did get a few breaks to stretch our legs and get snacks. One unforgettable moment was when a bunch of criminals in shackles came on the bus...with the authorities of course! Guess the bus is cheaper than a taxi?? Sort of reminded me when I was on the Greyhound bus from Appleton to Chicago!

After settling into our accommodations, Nitin took the group out on an orientation tour of Pushkar where we had a small preview of what was on sale. Shopping...gotta love it!

We also walked around the Holy Lake. There are a bunch of rules like...no shoes, no photos of the ghats, no drugs, no alcohol, no meat...to name a few. Yup, we're in a Holy City!

We then had dinner by the Lake. There are guys all over the city of Pushkar trying to give you flowers to put in the Holy Lake and they tell you "no money", it's for the Lake. The money comes into play when you go to put the flowers in the Lake and then a guy tells you some lucky words/blessings and ties a thread bracelet onto your wrist...

Once again it was a nice walk back to the hotel. Gotta love those after dinner walks!




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Who is that masked man?Who is that masked man?
Who is that masked man?

Tom trying to catch a few winks.


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb