Pushkar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Pushkar
November 3rd 2011
Published: November 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived via train into Ajmer station which is the closest stop to Pushkar. Pushkar is about 11km away and best way to get there is via the bus. So we tried to find the bus stop which is literally just standing on the side of a road where you see other people waiting that look like they want the bus. No bus stops here!! We caught a private small bus down the main square then jumped on another small private bus to Pushkar. Was a very busy and hectic bus, everyone all squashed under each others arm pits, but was only 15min so just had to get on with it. The journey to Pushkar took us on a windy road through mountains and lush green before finally we were in what appeared to be the desert. It is in fact situated on the edge of the desert. We could tell it was normally a quiet place to visit and not very big but as it was the camel fair it was packed, had a great vibe. We walked around the town, really good market stalls here and ventured out on to the desert where all you can see are hundreds of camels clustered together. The fair is on for 1-2 weeks each year and where at the beginning of the fair is where the serious buying and selling of camels takes place before the tourists all arrive and there is a great number of shows that happen every day. We were only here one day but wished we could of stayed longer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb