Udaipur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Udaipur
November 3rd 2011
Published: November 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We left Pushkar and made our way to Ajmer station to catch our train to Udaipur. We could only get seats in second class, non air con but as they are reserved seats we were not too worried about this. Soon as the train pulled in people came out of no where and started to push and squeeze themselves onto the train, there was way too many people squeezing onto our carriage then there was seats. Terry tried to squeeze on as we knew we had to get on this train as there are no refunds and no second trains but it was just too hectic. A policemen came over with a stick and asked us where are seats were. He started shouting at a group of Indians through the window who were in our seats then came back and said get on and they will move from the seats. He was going to lead us onto this very packed train to our seats with his stick that I presume is used to ‘help’ move people out the way. We decided to jump onto the AC3 carriage instead and wait for the train to get moving and see what we could do. There were some spare seats in AC3 so Clare and I sat down and poor Terry being the gentleman hovered in the gangway. There was a large group of Canadian travellers in the carriage who were all sharing seats, they had got their dates mixed up and was meant to be on yesterdays train. They were going to find the conductor to see if they could give me him some cash to stay as to buy a new ticket would cost at least £10 for AC3. Our tickets for second class was only £1. We decided we would just have to upgrade our tickets if possible and stay in AC3. The conductor came along, gave the Canadians and us seats, did not even check our tickets and we enjoyed a nice 5 hour train journey with Air con and comfort. At the end of the journey we realised that the conductor had presumed Terry, Smithy and I were with the Canadians as I saw one of the group giving the conductor a bung so that is why he never asked for money or a ticket – BONUS!

As Terry and I have been to Udaipur before we stayed at the same hotel as last time, Ishwar’s Palace. Nice, clean, cheap with hot showers what more can you ask for. Only 300rs a room (£4). The next day we wondered over to the city palace. Just paid the 25rps to get into the grounds and took a walk through the palace and the beautiful grounds. We could not a boat around the lake as there was a wedding going on but was still nice day. Love Udaipur its busy on the main road with ots of market stalls. Best thing to buy here are the diaries, books, photo albums bound in leather, dirt cheap and really nice. You see them all over India for sale but as they are made here they are half the price. Had a cheap but very good meal at Cafe cool opposite our hotel and got ourselves ready to head off the next day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb