Jaipur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaipur
November 2nd 2011
Published: November 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We used the local Government bus which only cost us just under £3 each and managed to get seats together as we had booked it online. When we got to the bus stop the man in the ticket booth said you cannot book bus tickets online and was not sure how we had tickets. Was not sure if he was trying it on but no way was I buying anymore so we just stood our ground, jumped on the bus and the conductor was happy with our ticket, if not a little miffed we could book online. Cannot believe we are the first people to use that service. Anyway we were right at the back of the bus and we had two Indian guys sit next to us on our seats. Terry struck up conversation with the one and we had a right laugh the whole journey. Clare was howling with laughter as the guy kept saying ‘Shitty’ instead of ‘City’ amongst other things. We really got an insight into how close Indians become with each other. You often see men walking down the road with their arms around each other or holding hands, they are not gay just very good friends or family. Well these two Indian men were strangers to each other but when the one was chatting to us he would be leaning over the other man to talk, arm resting on his knee, moving the guy out the way every time he wanted to tak to us, if this was England there would be a fight but the man did not seem to care his personal space was invaded. Anyway the journey was funny and time went quick and we arrived in Jaipur around 10pm. We followed two German backpackers to a hotel they had read about in the guide book. Was about 15min walk from the station, down nice quiet road, very clean and cost us £10 for a 3 bed room. Was more like a hotel then a guest house really, it was called Kaylan Hotel. Next day we visited the old town of Jaipur, we decided to walk as it did not look too far but in the end took nearly an hour. To visit the city palace was the most expensive out of all the sights and did not look that impressive, especially after the number of city palaces you do get to see in India and at a lot cheaper price, so we ended up visiting a place called Hawa Mahal, a great building that you can walk around with views over the city. If you have more time here I would recommend getting the ass that offers you 5/6 sights for 300rs and skip the palace. We wondered back through the markets to our hotel, picked up some beers on the way home and enjoyed them on the roof top.
Today we were meant to be going to Pushkar, staying the night and leave for Udaipur the next day but as the camel fair was on at the moment we had a feeling it may be expensive for accommodation, if we can even find any. I made a few calls and the hotels were either full or charging extortionate prices so we decided to stay in Jaipur one extra day, leave for Puskar on the 3rd November, stop for a few hours then continue onwards to Udaipur that evening. So we spent another day in Jaipur, taking our time, walking around before catching the 9am train the next day to Pushkar.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



15th November 2011

Really enjoyed reading that Kate hope that you are all ok.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb