Jodhpur and Jaipur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
December 13th 2009
Published: January 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Jodhpur LassiJodhpur LassiJodhpur Lassi

The best Lassi ever, so thick you needed a spoon to eat it!
Jodhpur and Jaipur
12th to 15th December

Jodphur is a big and busy city, after difficulty finding accommodation within budget we settled for an adequate hotel just out of town. We explored the town and drank the most amazing lassi from a famous cafe and ate thali from a recommended fast food cafe. The thali cost 79 Rs each which is approx £1, it was the best food we’d had in India and there was a lot of it.

We bought spices to make chai tea but we don’t know yet if immigration in Australia will allow us to bring them in; we hope so as chai tea is one of the simplest delights we have discovered in India.

We fancied a beer so hunted for a bar, we finally found a dingy hotel bar which sold alcohol; here we discovered Haywards beer (more information on this beer can be found on Dan’s Beer Diary for those interested). Despite the dingyness the people running the place were lovely, constant nibbles were offered and the beer was sold at Indian prices, the small tip we tried to leave was quickly returned as they wished us well.

The Palace out on the outskirts and the city fort were amazing. The fort still had the canon ball holes in the walls from an attack, the fort was only successfully invaded once over a long history. Before they could be captured all the kings wives’ committed suicide, their hands are set in iron at the gates.

Our final road journey took us to our first destination Jaipur; we didn’t think we would make it as the curse of the flat tyre returned to haunt us. After it became flat we coasting down the highway at a slow speed , unsure why, it soon became clear when we pulled over at one of the numerous tyre repair shack...... the spare was also flat. Our driver needed to negotiate with the two men, both sat on a bed, for about 10 minutes before they agreed to fix the tyre. Obviously the price was inflated because of us and it took another 30 minutes to fix and put the tyre back on .....finally we were on our way again but again we questioned the India way of doing things....waiting for things to be needed before fixing things.

Jaipur is a large town
JodhpurJodhpurJodhpur

Main square with fort
where we spent two nights. We explored yet another fort and palace on the outskirts, which although magnificent wasn’t anywhere near as amazing as Jaislamer or Jodphur. Starting to feel we had seen enough forts, palaces and museums we found a bar and sat back to watch some cricket, what a pleasure.

That night we decided to eat at a restaurant recommended by Lonely Planet so jumped on a rickshaw, the bloke was great so after he waited for us to have our dinner he took us home. His fare was less than our starter, so feeling guilty, or a little merry we recruited his services for the morning. Unfortunately it was difficult to lose him after he dropped us in the city centre and he kept popping up everywhere we went! Finally we shook him off and explored the city by foot taking in the palace, shops, markets and local street food.



Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

JodhpurJodhpur
Jodhpur

Tuk tuk with some feastive decoration
JodhpurJodhpur
Jodhpur

View of city, the houses are painted blue which historically is linked to type of religion.
Jodhpur Fort wallsJodhpur Fort walls
Jodhpur Fort walls

Spikes to stopcaharging elephants
Jodhpur FortJodhpur Fort
Jodhpur Fort

Canon ball holes!
JodhpurJodhpur
Jodhpur

Traditional dress and instrument
JodhpurJodhpur
Jodhpur

Fort walls
JodhpurJodhpur
Jodhpur

Hands of wifes'
JodhpurJodhpur
Jodhpur

Great moustash!


Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 78; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb