Jaisalmer to Jhodpur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
April 8th 2008
Published: April 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Faces of Jhodpur.Faces of Jhodpur.Faces of Jhodpur.

This family of kids wanted us to take their photo. We obliged.
We're quite sore after the previous days events, but like the troopers we are we got back in the car and headed off to Jaisalmer.

Jaisalmer is a beautiful fort that is tragically sinking into the desert. It's 500 years old and the sewer system isn't capable of handling the pressure of 25% of the city's population living inside it's walls. So, the foundations of the city are being eroded away by the waste water. What a shame. The inner city is as close as we've come to actually feeling like we're back in the time of the Maharajas. Tight winding little streets, more like alleys that twist around and wind backwards until you have no clue where you are. Houses that are 3 and 4 hundred years old. Fantastic.

The next day we moved on to Jhodpur. It was smaller but much more beautiful than Jaisalmer. The buildings were tall, 15 stories at least, built on a hill in the middle of nowhere. They're taking care here that this fort doesn't sink like Jaisalmer. Nobody lives in the fort and there is no plastic allowed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Jaisalmer.Jaisalmer.
Jaisalmer.

These walls are collapsing into the desert.
The narrow streets of Jaisalmer.The narrow streets of Jaisalmer.
The narrow streets of Jaisalmer.

These narrow streets are shared by all.
Shopping with a friend.Shopping with a friend.
Shopping with a friend.

Lesley was shocked to have to outbid another shopper on a lovely tablecloth.
Jhodpur Fort. Jhodpur Fort.
Jhodpur Fort.

These buildings seemed to be a mile high when you looked up at them.
Jhodpur IIJhodpur II
Jhodpur II

These buildings were carved by hand in a time when you could take 100 years to finish a building.
Cookin' with LesleyCookin' with Lesley
Cookin' with Lesley

Lesley gives the roadside chapati makers a quick lesson in dough rolling.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0804s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb