The Great Thar Desert.


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
April 7th 2008
Published: April 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Face of the Thar Desert.Face of the Thar Desert.Face of the Thar Desert.

This cutey was Lesley's mode of transportation. A real sweetie.
We were getting deeper and deeper into the desert now. I'd never seen India so barren of people. Everywhere else it was wall to wall bodies. Now we were driving 10 to 20 kms between seeing a soul. The goats outnumbered the people 100 to 1. The people were changing as well. There were turbans on the men and wildly colourful saris on the women. Even the camels were getting in on the action with ornate saddles and bright beads around their necks and legs.

We're on our way to something that Lesley is thrilled about and I'm not looking forward to as much. A camel safari. It's not that I'm afraid of camels, it's just that I'd heard so many horror stories about their constant farting and spitting. Well, mine didn't spit, that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

It's not the most comfortable ride in the world, they rock and sway so much that until you get a feel for it you clench with every muscle in your body. They are also really wide, much wider than a horse, and quite painful if you don't strech that far.

Still quite an experience to ride
She can take the weight.She can take the weight.She can take the weight.

Thankfully this was a big camel. She was a lot wider than I first thought. Ouch.
up to the dunes on this huge animal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Where are the brakes on this thing.Where are the brakes on this thing.
Where are the brakes on this thing.

Getting up on the camels back was a tough job, but not nearly as tough as staying on it when it got up on it's legs.
Exhausted.Exhausted.
Exhausted.

My camel needed a little rest after our journey.
Back home after the safari.Back home after the safari.
Back home after the safari.

Our room in the desert. It was a little bijou, but it was home.
Drinking with camels.Drinking with camels.
Drinking with camels.

A quick refresher before heading out to the dunes.
Dancin' in the dunes.Dancin' in the dunes.
Dancin' in the dunes.

The dunes weren't vast but they were pretty.
Lesley on the parapets of Jaisalmer.Lesley on the parapets of Jaisalmer.
Lesley on the parapets of Jaisalmer.

On top of the fort you could see for literally miles.
Camels in the dunes.Camels in the dunes.
Camels in the dunes.

Sunset in the dunes. Very peaceful.


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb