The Temple of Pillers and Udaipur


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Udaipur
April 9th 2008
Published: April 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Face of UdaipurFace of UdaipurFace of Udaipur

This guy was a real character.
Our trek through Rajastan is over. We did the final leg from Jhodpur to Udaipur by way of a magnificent Jain Temple. The temple has over a thousand columns, every one different. Although it would be more impressive if they had all been identical. The Jains are the ultra orthodox hindus and they don't like shorts in the temple. So I had to rent a lovely pair of pants. The best part was that they charged me a 2 dollar deposit so that I would bring them back. I brought them back.

Udaipur is a beautiful city with lots of windy backstreets that you could get lost in and not care. Tiny little shops that were no larger than a cupboard and yet they were not only a shop but usually the bedroom as well.The floating palace was the centrepiece of the city, sitting serenely out on the lake. A very dirty lake but.... what can you do.

We're heading out of Rajastan now, I must say I enjoyed this part of the trip. The desert was a nice break from the hustle and bustle of the big cities. New adventures await.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Lesley having a religious experience.Lesley having a religious experience.
Lesley having a religious experience.

It was the celebration of the new year. Everyone had to have a dot.
Relaxing in style.Relaxing in style.
Relaxing in style.

After a hard day of celebrations, Lesley decided to chillax in our room.
Fabulous Jain temple.Fabulous Jain temple.
Fabulous Jain temple.

No two pillers were alike.
Dig those crazy pants.Dig those crazy pants.
Dig those crazy pants.

They wouldn't let me into the temple with shorts on so I had to rent some pants.
March of the Ladies.March of the Ladies.
March of the Ladies.

These ladies would walk down to the water to greet their returning men.
This character again.This character again.
This character again.

I just couldn't get enough of him.


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 73; dbt: 0.092s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb