India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
January 7th 2007
Published: January 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Mumbai PovertyMumbai PovertyMumbai Poverty

Animals and an Indian woman routing through a pile of trash outside our hotel room.
We have had an amazing time in India! It did start-off a little rough though. We arrived in Mumbai Dec 30th after a full day of traveling. We were brought to our hotel, which lets just say did not look like the pictures on its website! Mumbai's poverty was overwhelming. There was garbage everywhere and mothers with babies begging on all the streets. We did hear that the women actually rent the babies for the day which which makes it even more sad. We spent the morning in Mumbai taking a taxi around the city and sight-seeing. It was great to experience the city but we were glad to only have half a day there. Although, Kellie and Dave had a good time in Mumbai so I am sure being jet-legged didn't help our experience.

That afternoon we were off to Fort Cochin, Kerala to meet Kellie, Dave and Darcie! Fort Cochin was amazing! We stayed in a beautiful B&B. The family that owned the hotel were so nice and helpful. We spent our nights eating in an outside market place. We would buy the seafood that we wanted from stands along the river and than bring them to the
B&B in Fort CochinB&B in Fort CochinB&B in Fort Cochin

Kellie, Darcie and I on the balcony of our B&B. We all spent the afternoon relaxing and taking in the scenery with a few beers.
cook stands so that we could have them cooked how we liked. These meals of jumbo shrimp, calamari, fish, rice, noodles etc. would cost us maybe $35 for the five of us... which was the most expensive meals that we have eaten in India! Usually we spend about $6 for the five of us! While in Fort Cochin we spent a day on a back waters boat trip. The scenery was surreal! We stopped on an island for a great Indian lunch. It was the best way I could have ever imagined to spend New Years day!

We left Fort Cochin Jan 2nd and were off for a very long car ride to Munnar. The scenery definately made the car trip a great adventure. In that area there are hills and hills of tea plants, jungles overflowing with monkeys, waterfalls... it was just amazing. Our hotel room in Munnar had the most beautiful balcony view that you could ever imagine. We spent the afternoon relaxing on the balcony and taking it all in. The next day in Munnar we spent the day sight-seeing in the miles and miles of tea hills. We also went to a tea plantation to
Back waters boat tripBack waters boat tripBack waters boat trip

Pat relaxing on the boat trip through the Kerela back waters.
see how it all came together.

After Munnar we were off for another car journey to Periyar. Periyar was a very small town full of spice plantations. Our first day we all went on a 3 hour jungle trek. This was of course amazing! We saw monkeys, birds, lizards, and wild elephants! This trek may have been my favotire part of India, but it is very difficult to judge! The next day the boys went on another jungle trek in the morning and the girls went on a tour of a spice plantation. The spice tour was very interesting. They taught us how many herbal medicines were made and what each plant was. At the end we bought a couple of their medicines, including pure aloe (for the burns that Pat and I will get on the beaches in Thailand!) and some cough syrup that has really worked!

Yesterday we drove back to Cochin in the afternoon. Kellie, Dave and Darcie caught their flight to Goa this morning. They will be spending two more weeks exploring India. It was really sad to say good-bye to them and end our India adventure.. but we are now getting on our
Lunch Lunch Lunch

All of us having lunch on an island. Eating Indian style with our hands. Darcie felt right at home!
flight to Thailand in 2 hours and starting a new journey! It is so nice to end one vacation and start another! We are absolutely loving life!

We miss everyone!
Love Laurie and Pat


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Best FriendsBest Friends
Best Friends

Darcie found a friend at our B&B. Natasha is the 4 year old daughter of the owner. Very cute!
Munnar Munnar
Munnar

View from our hotel in Munnar. We could have sat there for days!
Tea FieldsTea Fields
Tea Fields

Pat and I standing in the middle of a tea field in Munnar.
WaterfallWaterfall
Waterfall

All of us in front of a waterfall in Munnar.
Elephant rideElephant ride
Elephant ride

Kellie, Dave and Darcie on an elephant ride. Darcie absolutely loved it!
Jungle trekJungle trek
Jungle trek

Pat and I on a jungle trek. If you look over our heads you can see elephants!
Pat and MonkeysPat and Monkeys
Pat and Monkeys

Pat with some wild monkeys we came across on the side of the road.
More elephantsMore elephants
More elephants

Darcie and I with an elephant in Periyar. Darcie loves the elephants!


7th January 2007

Jealous
Awesome Laurie!! I'm so jealous!! We'll see you soon!
8th January 2007

Wow!
Looks like you guys had a great time! I can not get over how much Darcie has grown in such a short time! I wish we could have been there! Be safe!
10th January 2007

Ohhh Laurie!!!!! What an amazing experience. Have fun on the beaches in Thailand. Soak in everything!!!

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb