Desert Storm


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jaisalmer
March 12th 2007
Published: April 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Jodhput to Jaisalmer


You arrive at the desert and what you don't expect is rain but that's exactly what we got...

The rain put an end to our ambitions of a desert camel trail and stained all our photos of this "golden city" with a dull grey sky but that didn't stop us from admiring this wonderful sand coloured fortress town. It did dampen spirits a little though and on the back of some rough gastric problems in Jodhpur, we were generally at a low point as things were seemingly unravelling at the end of the trip. I think it was safe to say, we were happy that home was approaching...

It's a shame we met the town at a low ebb as the place is stunning - its ramshackled, sandstone beauty is something to behold. Most visitors will give you a very positive story about the place and we can appreciate why. As it was, the rain kept us indoors for most of the time and our dodgy guts required frequent evacuating so we didn't get to explore to anything like as much as we would have liked.

The room we stayed in was again beautiful with its four poster stone-carved bed and rich velvety fabrics. From the rooftop, we got great views of the wonderfully carved temples and havelis and the fortifications surrounding the town. Out on foot (which was rare) we felt a very welcoming place with lots of backpackers roaming around the various trinket shops and laid-back eateries. Unfortunately though, that's really where our diary entry ends as with time running out and plans disrupted, we felt it was better to press on towards Delhi and spend a little longer exploring the capital and the wonders surrounding it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Atop The Sand Bank...Atop The Sand Bank...
Atop The Sand Bank...

Jaisalmer sits on what is basically, a pile of a sand


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb