It Was Bound To Get Us Eventually...


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
March 9th 2007
Published: April 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mt Abu to Jodhpur


We came, we saw, we (both) ate something dodgy (so non-meat), we spent two days between bed and bathroom - not the happiest of days!

I'm sure Liz Hurley (if she ate at all) didn't eat what we were unfortunate enough to consume... and as quickly as it was eaten it was soon resurfacing and I'll end there... Liz was in town for her lavish multi-day wedding to her new Indian beau, an event that had the locals all talking about the vacuous ex-model/ex-wife of Hugh Grant/atrocious actress. Of course we didn't see her or the entourage, and we didn't go to the Umaid Bhawan Palace where her wedding party had set up base but we saw the odd fireworks displays on show in the evenings suggesting the party was in full flow.

Before our "Delhi Belly" incident we had a little walk around the city, generally getting lost in the narrow streets full of turns and dead-ends. We did manage to explore Mehrangarh Fort which we both agreed was an incredible place perched on a rocky hill with its imposing grandeur, looking over the city. The fort is amazingly well-kept by its shrewd and entrepreneurial Maharaja who has added an audio guided tour through rentable mp3 players, to give visitors all the info needed whilst exploring at leisure. The fort is vast with huge courtyards and massive battlements and some fine galleries and rooms full of rare antiquities. It also offers up some fantastic views over the sea of blue houses on the plain below. Near5by we also saw the white marble cenotaph of Jaswant Thada.

That's pretty much where the story ends. Fortunately we had chosen to get a very beautiful room (splashing out a bit at the end of the journey) and so our general gastric discomfort was not worsened by grotty Indian accommodation. With books/magazines, pringles crisps and bottles of pop we hid beneath the sheets whilst the sickness endured before heading out into the desert... next stop Jaisalmer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Liz is ThereLiz is There
Liz is There

Umaid Bhawan Palace
Our SanctuaryOur Sanctuary
Our Sanctuary

A beautiful room where we spent two days in despair.
HandprintsHandprints
Handprints

The story here is not pleasant.
Light Streams In..Light Streams In..
Light Streams In..

I think this room was the Maharani's (Maharaja's wife)


Tot: 0.398s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 40; qc: 171; dbt: 0.2841s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb