Quick stop at Amritsar


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Punjab » Amritsar
August 24th 2007
Published: October 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Amritsar is the spiritual and cultural centre of the Sikh Religion and home of the famous 'Golden Temple' (The Harmandir Sahib). Sikh devotees, for whom the Temple is a symbol of infinite freedom and spiritual independence, come to the Temple from all over the world to enjoy its environs and offer their prayers.

The temple is just amazing (and probably my favourite temple so far!).

We decided to see the Golden Temple both at night and during the day, and both times were really different experiences. The Temple has such a peaceful vibe to it, not to mention the amazing arcitechture, carvings, gold and marblework. It is surrounded by a small lake of water, known as the Sarovar which consists of Amrit (Nectar or Holy Water).

The highlight for me was enjoying a communal lunch in the dining hall with thousands of other people.......the Sikhs put on a meal everyday for free......and they get about 30,000 people coming through each day! I've never seen a bigger 'kitchen' full of volunteers lending a helping hand!
They are some of the most generous and lovely people I've ever met!!! Such a great experience here!

While staying in Amritsar, I also got the opportunity to visit 'Wagah Border', the only road border crossing between India and Pakistan, and to experience the Pakistan-India Border Crossing Ceremony.

The lowering of both countries' flags is performed every evening at sunset by Indian border forces and Pakistani rangers in tandem with each other. Every evening this Ceremony is attended by thousands of visitors on both sides of the border. Obviously, Indians stay on the Indian side and Pakistanis on the Pakistan side of the big gate and cheer for their "team".

It was great watching the callings, very fast marches and peculiar step dancing of the soldiers and also to witness the patriotism....and the friendliness of it all....especially considering the tension between both these countries.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Gotta love men in uniform!Gotta love men in uniform!
Gotta love men in uniform!

The Border Security Force at the Border Crossing Ceremony
Love that smile!Love that smile!
Love that smile!

One of the lovely volunteers handing out plates for the communal feast
Get chopping!Get chopping!
Get chopping!

Some of the volunteers preparing the masses of food they serve for free to over 30,000 people each day
The Chapatti production lineThe Chapatti production line
The Chapatti production line

This is only a section of the massive kitchen at the Temple
The delicious and wholesome food at the TempleThe delicious and wholesome food at the Temple
The delicious and wholesome food at the Temple

Trust me...it tastes better than it looks!


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb