New Delhi and Agra


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory
January 6th 2018
Published: January 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at New Delhi airport and were picked up by our driver for the drive to the hotel along a newly built 6 lane highway and noticed that the metro ran alongside. This is easy we thought and then we found the traffic - haphazard merging and horns blowing everywhere. It took 1 1/2 hours to get to the hotel. Although extremely sleepy we went for a walk after getting a map. Walking seems to be a novel concept. We were constantly hounded by tuk tuk drivers trying to take us somewhere or touts offering to show us shops. After being helped by a young man to the tourist office ( which we didn’t need to go to) we took a tuk tuk back to the hotel. We walked out of the hotel in a different direction. There were many shops selling sweets/cakes but also the same story of touts hounding us. Later at about 4:30 we went to a restaurant next to the hotel for dinner. Delicious. After watching some of the BBL on TV we were asleep by 6:30.

Awake the following morning at 4:00 am. Met Donna and Chris for breakfast at 8. We were picked up by our driver Goudrey for the tour of Delhi with our guide Nick. Our first stop was the Jama Masjid, India's largest mosque holds 25,000 people. It was built by Shah Jahan ( the final building after the Taj Mahal and Red Fort) between 1644 and 1658. It is constructed of alternating vertical strips of red sandstone and white marble.We donned our hired robes and took off our shoes to enter the mosque. Kevin paid the camera fee so he was official photographer. The tour was a mixture of drive by and walking. It also included an electric rickshaw ride in the Chandi Chowk Market where we visited the “famous“ spice store the oldest in Dehli. Some interesting things for sale on the streets including live rats, delicious fruit and vegetables and just about anything that you could need. The cacophony of sound from traffic and horns is constant. To drive in India we learned that you need three things - Good brakes, a Good horn and Good Luck!!!! Lane markings are superfluous to requirements as is driving down the road in the correct direction. If for some reason the road is blocked and you need an alternative option just turn around and drive in the opposite direction. “Don’t look and rely on the driver” is our motto. A visit to the India Gate, a 42 metre high answer to the Arc de Triomphe was next on the agenda where we saw soldiers practicing for the upcoming republic day celebrations on January 26. It is dedicated to the 90,000 Indian soldiers who died in WWI. Next stop the obligatory carpet shop for a demonstration of the making of hand knotted rugs and explanation of the different styles and materials used including silk. We returned to the car with lighter wallets and rugs in transit to Australia.

We also visited Raj Ghat, a memorial where Ghandi was cremated. We finished our tour of Dehli at the Lotus Temple which is dedicated to the Bahai faith.




AGRA



Today was a long drive to Agra mostly on a 3 lane highway passing through many toll stations. If you are driving a tractor or a camel you don’t have to pay. Our hotel was pure luxury but we decided to break out and see what was outside the gated walls. We were looking for lunch but we settled for Maccas. Spicy Mc Chicken burger, fries and coke. Delicious. A large mall had been built nearby but there were only three shops open. We were told it was because nobody came. It appears some cities in India aren’t ready for this type of shopping.

As soon as we got out the tuk tuk drivers were hounding us again so we agreed with driver Ashoka to be shown around the town for 50 rupees (about $1). We stopped in the street and went to a shop for some soft drink and snacks and the ride was finished by the ubiquitous visit to a carpet shop. This time they also showed us jewellery made from the Star of India gemstone.

The afternoon held a tour of the Taj Mahal at sunset. The viewing point is from the foundations of the black Taj. It is interesting as you can see the way the Taj was built.The creator of the Taj Mahal, Shah Jahan, had originally decided to build a black Taj as an exact copy but decided against it as it may take away from the splendour of the original.

We were up early for our
Lotus Temple.Lotus Temple.Lotus Temple.

Bahai Faith
visit to the Taj. 1000 rupees each ( foreigner rate). You get used to paying many times more than locals to tour sites and monuments. You also may have to sometimes pay a photography fee, a shoe minder fee, tips for the guide, porter etc etc it goes on and on But that is India. Go with the flow.

The Taj is very impressive in the morning sun and became even more so as the sun got higher shining on the white marble. It felt amazing to actually be here. We took many photos and toured inside the Taj and the mausoleum with covers over our shoes. The early morning visit was worth it to beat the crowds even though there was still a lot of people there.

Our next stop was the Agra Fort, the main residence of the Mughal Dynasty until 1638 when the capital moved to Dehli. It covers 94 acres and the walls are 20 feet thick And 70 feet high. It was the site of a battle during the Indian rebellion of 1857 leading to the end of the British East India company’s rule. Very impressive.

Our final stop in these parts is Fatehpur Sikhism, the political capital of the Murgal Akbar 1571-1585. It was planned on Persian architectral principles but with Indian embellishments. It was abandoned soon after it was finished as the spring which supplied water ran dry. We made away back to our van via a small bus packed to the gills.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

woman carrying dung pats for burningwoman carrying dung pats for burning
woman carrying dung pats for burning

Much of India's smoke problem is due to the outside burning of cow pats for cooking and being warm


Tot: 0.358s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 21; qc: 86; dbt: 0.0861s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb