Delhi: Round Dos


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » National Capital Territory » Delhi
December 22nd 2008
Published: January 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Coca-ColaCoca-ColaCoca-Cola

I bet you've never seen a coke delivery truck quite like this one before...
Second time around in Delhi. It was an unavoidable stop on our route. But a welcome stop, since we all had a few errands to run.
We were warmly welcomed back into the city by swarms of auto-rickshaw drivers trying to seriously rip us off. Then ignoring and disappearing after we purchased a pre-paid ticket so that they would not have to settle for the REAL price of the ride.
But after a traffic officer saw us in distress he demanded that someone drive us.
So, off we went, to Pahar Ganj; backpackers zip code.
Along the way being stopped due to closed streets and salesmen shoving plastic toy machine guns into the back of the vehicle, trying desperately to tempt us.
Ahhh...back in Delhi.
We checked ourselves into a better hotel this time around and I managed to recover from my bout of sickness in comfort.
Errand running and trying to eat the most delicious food possible begins!
After two failed attempts of trying to find a clean and competent, and a few moments of hysterical sobbing, I found the GARGS (Garg father and son). A confident and knowledgeable duo of DENTIST POWER! I was incredibly relieved.
In just a
In Gargs handsIn Gargs handsIn Gargs hands

Hanging out with Dr.Garg...do I look scared?
couple of sessions, and surprisingly little amount of pain, I had a root canal (complete with a post and crown) and SIX cavities filled for a mere $300!
Sigh, the marvels of Indian dentistry.
Jasmine, on the other had, had a mission of her own; finding a Nikon service center and trying to save her D50 from its untimely death. You could say that it was difficult to get to, but that would be a seriously large understatement. How we found our way there, I do not know. But after taking a metro, bus and extremely long auto-rickshaw ride...we arrived.
We arrived?
Yes, we arrived.
We only stayed for a few moments for them to tell her that it would take about $200 to repair. She said "No Thank You" and we were on our way back.
After hunting down a camera specialist in Old Delhi, she managed to make a trade for a new compact camera. Not nearly as good, of course, or as satisfying as an SLR. BUT it gave her some sort of photo-taking strength, which meant alot at the moment.
And as for Guillaumes errands, which were not nearly as difficult to accomplish. Buying a pair
Delhi-ciousDelhi-ciousDelhi-cious

Lame joke, but seriously the best damn street food Ive ever had.
of jeans and a pair of sunglasses.
Done.
We were in and out of Delhi in four days.
With some incredible meals in between, I have to add.
Karims, in the Muslim area in Old Delhi, sent Guillaume into another dimension.
Now, our plans DID get completely rearranged, as they always seem to do. We were supposed to spend Christmas in Amritsar, visiting the Golden Temple. But we weren't thinking fast enough and the train was all booked up until into the New Year.
We could have taken the bus but we were not too keen on that, so we just took any train that we could find, with space on it heading West-ish.
And it just so happened to take us to Jodhpur, Rajasthan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Chicken Man:Delhi EditionChicken Man:Delhi Edition
Chicken Man:Delhi Edition

Guillaume was ready, once again, to leave me in a hearbeat.
At KarimsAt Karims
At Karims

Here is Guillaume, explaining to us WHY this was one of the best meals of his life (I love it when he gets that crazy MEATY look in his eyes).
The Chef at KarimsThe Chef at Karims
The Chef at Karims

Im sure that Guillaume was trying to figure out how to get this guy to come back to Canada with us.
At the Delhi GateAt the Delhi Gate
At the Delhi Gate

It was nice, enough.
Gettin a bit wackyGettin a bit wacky
Gettin a bit wacky

After the zillionth photo request of the day at the Delhi gate, Guillaume decided to flip it on them. Get a bit CRAZY.


Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb