Blue Christmas, quite literally


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Rajasthan » Jodhpur
December 25th 2008
Published: January 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Jingle Bell infinity 31 secs
Comfy CowComfy CowComfy Cow

He's not the only one taking naps in the middle of the street, I will tell you THAT much.
Hot desert sun, pale blue buildings, enormous fort rising up from a hill in the middle of the city...it's just the kind of place we hoped for to spend the christmas holidays.
We had all sorts of pleasant surprises coming our way in Jodhpur.
Jasmine and I discovered one of our new favorite things...Makhania Lassi. A lassi (yogurt drink) flavored with cardamom, saffron and rose water!
Eeek! It's most enjoyable.
Also, we were invited to a Christmas party hosted by a lovely english teacher who owns a guesthouse. We didn't quite understand, until we arrived, that the christmas party was being hosted by her young english students and we would be submitted to round after round of dancing and christmas carolling.
It was fun, though. Made us smile. And the best part was that when we arrived we saw a whole bunch of young indian girls dancing on the dance floor and admist all of them, in the centre of the dancing frenzy...was our dutch friend Anjo whom we met in Nepal!
We happened to bump into our lovely dutch friends at a childrens christmas party. How wonderful.
On Christmas day we went to visit the old fort and palace rising
Talking businessTalking businessTalking business

at the sweet shop
up in the middle of the city. It was really great. They give out audio guides that are usually pretty geeky but it was so well done that we didnt mind walking around and looking like nerds for a couple of hours. The narration and information given was outstanding. The palace itself was incredibly well preserved and truly breathtaking.
I made Guillaume promise to me that we could live in a palace one day too.
When we returned to the hotel after our day of sightseeing, we cracked open some beers and sat around the christmas tree that i ever-so sneakily bought in Delhi and brought with me. We opened presents and laughed a whole lot.
When our dutch friends showed up we went upstairs to the rooftop of the hotel where the owner was putting on a wonderful christmas party and dinner for all the guests (grown ups only, this time).
We ate, talked and laughed alot. It was a truly wonderful Christmas.
The guesthouse was so comfortable (and BLUE) that we got really comfortable there really quickly. And like always...didnt want to leave!
Jodhpur had charm, with the narrow, pale blue streets of the old city, friendly children
TypicalTypicalTypical

just your average Indian street action.
everywhere who just want to shake your hand.
And of course....the food. We checked out some Rajasthani specialties. Corn bread, garlicky mustard greens, rice with dried fruit and potatoes and other wonderful things.
Yup, I think that we are starting to fall in love with Rajasthan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

YUMMMM!YUMMMM!
YUMMMM!

Makhanyia lassi!
Narrow blue streetsNarrow blue streets
Narrow blue streets

the atmospheric old city
This is whyThis is why
This is why

I will never be able to fully understand India or Hinduism.
The sceneThe scene
The scene

of the interesting old fort of Jodhpur
More fort stuffMore fort stuff
More fort stuff

it was cool cuz we could go up on the wall and check out the old cannons!
Mmmm...pure opulence.Mmmm...pure opulence.
Mmmm...pure opulence.

This was the entertainment room in the palace...sigh.
Another roomAnother room
Another room

for entertaining the guests. oh..and smoking opium too, they sure did that alot, crazy maharajas!
MeMe
Me

all Bindi-ed up and ready for CHRISTMAS!!!
Christmas cuddlesChristmas cuddles
Christmas cuddles

at the fort.
City of JodhpurCity of Jodhpur
City of Jodhpur

sure is neat looking.
ActionAction
Action

in the old city.
Cool blueCool blue
Cool blue

keeps the buildings cool in the summer heat
Kids...again!Kids...again!
Kids...again!

They are EVERYWHERE! and love to have their photos taken!
Mustached Sun GodMustached Sun God
Mustached Sun God

We asked..but still dont get it.
Fort ViewFort View
Fort View

From our guesthouse rooftop
Just hanging outJust hanging out
Just hanging out

at the tomb
and againand again
and again

enjoying the cool shade on the marble tomb.
Guillaume said...Guillaume said...
Guillaume said...

that it would be cooler if i didnt pose.
Great rickshawGreat rickshaw
Great rickshaw

Jodhpur seemed to have the best looking ones in India.


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb