Day 9: India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
June 7th 2008
Published: June 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello,
Lauren and I are just getting back from breakfast at a cute little deli called Indigo. We had waffles and eggs florentine. We decided we could handle splurging and spending $5 on food. Everything else that we've eaten in INdia has been 45Rs or less. Which is about a buck. Yesterday we decided to go on a city tour around areas that were not accessible by foot. First we went to an outdoor laundry facility, where the entire city does its laundry. It normally takes about an day to wash, dry, iron and fold each batch of laundry. Men are only allowed to work at these facilities. I was surprised, because this is a very male dominated society and thought that women would be working here, but apparently laundry is a tough job. 😊 Then we went to a fisherman's village, where all the boats come in and sort fish. Next we went to an area called Marina drive and went to the famous Chowpatty beach. This would be a beautiful area if there was not trash floating in the water. According to Lonely Planet, the water is said to be toxic, so I didn't even attempt to put my feet in the water. Then we went to a Jain Temple. This was a very beautiful and ornate temple, full of gold and silver and bright paintings. Later we went to a Ghandi museum, that was housed in a building that he lived in for several years while living in Mumbai.
Monsoon season has officially began, but I luckily have an umbrella. I've never seen such hard rain in my life. You can be walking along in the sun and then all of a sudden it is pouring cats and dogs in the next instant. This is a disapointment, because Lauren and I had hoped to go to Elephant Island while we were here, but the ocean is too rough now.
Last night, we got to see Sex and the City!!! We had been sad that we'd missed it in the states, since we flew out the day it came out. We ran into some people from our hostel who were going and they invited us to come along with them. It was interesting, because before the movie began the Indian national anthem plays and everyone stands up, and there was an intermission during the movie. The cinema holds one English film a day at 7pm, so we lucked out! Hopefully the weather will clear in a bit so we can actually do something. It's just raining too much right now. Tomorrow night we leave for Thailand to meet America. I can't wait to see her and meet her extended family!

Advertisement



11th June 2008

Mumbai
Vada Pav is an indian vegetarian fast food available everywhere in mumbai. One should taste the local fast food. Its awesome. Visit Hanging Gardens situated at Malabar Hills. You can see the whole of mumbai city and chowpatty beach from the west side of the garden. The garden is situated on top of a hill. A traveler requires minimum 3-4 days to tour mumbai.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb