Second Day in Mumbai


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
February 11th 2008
Published: February 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Apartment buildingApartment buildingApartment building

On the drive--took us 2 hours to get to a specific spot, altho we were seeing things and sites along the way. Still IN the city...
Monday, we think!


We began in Mumbai, heading out about 10:30. We first went to see the dhabawallahs, the lunch guys--bring lunches in to the city on trains from as far as 45 km out, sort them and deliver them to folks at their offices in time for lunch. Seems that Prince Charles was so impressed with their organization and skills that the 4 supervisors were invited to his second wedding (he paid for their transportation). Amazing system.

Oh, at one point, the driver, Lenny, pointed out a woman who was brushing her teeth with her fingers. Seems they burn tobacco, take the ashes and mix them with salt and use it to brush their teeth (don't think i got a picture of that!)

Proceeded to the Gate of India which was also the exit point for the British. There were, as the guide books say, plenty of vendors selling plenty of stuff including, oddly enough, huge balloons. Might be able to see some of them in the pics. Then we went into the Taj Mahal Palace & Tower Hotel. Built by a Parsi industrialist (Tata himself, steel magnate, car maker, etc) when he was refused entry
TrafficTrafficTraffic

Just another picture of the traffic--auto rickshaws don't take up a full lane so several take up two lanes!
to one of the European hotels because he was "a native". We treated ourselves to a lovely lunch on the top floor--very pleasant and professional staff, even down to the man who helped Mike wash and dry his hands in the men's room (note to Jeff C--"that's all he helped with!"--and that's Mike's contribution to today's blog).

We stopped by to see the Virctoria Terminus but didn't go in--said to be very crowded as it's the main rr station in town. We went by the Jehangir Art Gallery, a private gallery that has weekly shows by different artists. Some intreesting contemporary pieces done by young artists. A nice break in the day.

As we walked by the High Court and judges, the store fronts were selling copies (with the copier sitting on the sidewalk), court stamps, advertised jobs for typists.

We then headed to Nariman Point and Marine Drive, for a walk on Chowpatty Beach, which we'd photographed from the Gardens the evening before.

On the way back to the hotel, we went through the Sion area, where the leather makers are. It's also part of the slums.

Stopped at the beer shop and got
Family on a motorcycleFamily on a motorcycleFamily on a motorcycle

The driver is required, by law, to wear a helmet. As they drew forward, we saw that mom is also holding on to a gift for the party they were attending!
some Kingfisher--yes, Jeff, there's Indian beer and it's good.

I'm writing this on Tuesday evening--finished adding pics to Monday too, so go back and check that out again!



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

DhabawallahsDhabawallahs
Dhabawallahs

I'll only type that header once! From here on, I'll refer to them as the "lunch guys". They deliver thousands of lunches per day, from the office workers homes, to the office worker. There are four sets of men involved in delivering lunches: one picks up the hot lunch at the home (from the wife or cook); two takes the lunch on the train to one of two central spots; three gets the lunches from the train to the sorters; four gets the lunch, via bicycle, to the intended office worker. never late, never wrong delivery. Next day, when they pick up the next lunch, they deliver yesterday's pouch...
Lunches from the trainsLunches from the trains
Lunches from the trains

Are brought to the sorting point on these crates.
Lunch GuysLunch Guys
Lunch Guys

loading up the bikes for deliveries
Lunch GuysLunch Guys
Lunch Guys

heading out
Same cowSame cow
Same cow

This cow will provide income--you think milk? yes, probably but also, the owner will take it to a temple where worshipers will pay the owner to allow the cow to eat some of the grass they bring, as a good omen.
Gateway to IndiaGateway to India
Gateway to India

Completed in 1887, it was intended to welcome the Queen & King; it served as the exit spot for British when they left India.
GatewayGateway
Gateway

Detail from the water side
Taj HotelTaj Hotel
Taj Hotel

from the Gateway


Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0788s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb