On to Mumbai (Bombay)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Maharashtra » Mumbai
February 11th 2008
Published: February 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Driver in KolkataDriver in KolkataDriver in Kolkata

This is the driver who carted us around most of the time we were in Kolkata--out to the Sunderbans and back. He had some very LONG days with us
Sunday

Flew from Kolkata to Mumbai and were met at the airport by our friend's sister (Isa) and our tour guide/driver for the few days we're here--Lenny. Very informative man, good driver. Of course, this was Sunday--we'll see how much worse traffic is on a weekeday.

Right now, we're going to concentrate on getting pics with captions on the site; might update text later.

Our timeshare unit here is very nice--a suite with two levels and a very strong shower!

So far, only made it part way through the day but have to head out for Monday's doings. Will publish and update later so check this entry again later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

SangkiSangki
Sangki

One of the "houseboys" at the Guest House at Jadavpur University--very helpful, pleasant man, as they all were. He's the one who got up to make us tea at 6:45 a.m., though!
Ready for the FestivalReady for the Festival
Ready for the Festival

Monday in Kolkata is a holiday--festival for the goddess of knowledge. The women's hostel is decorated and ready!
Mumbai from airplaneMumbai from airplane
Mumbai from airplane

A much "higher" city than Kolkata. Also much bigger, more money, and the largest slum in Asia.
Wholesale FlowersWholesale Flowers
Wholesale Flowers

One of our first stops (after checking in at the hotel and leaving some clothes to be washed) was the wholesale flower market. Flowers are brought in from surrounding states and sold to vendors all day. Most will be used to make garlands. There are also some grasses and leaves to be sold.
Grabbing a few Grabbing a few
Grabbing a few

We were there at 2 in the afternoon and these guys had been hard at it since about 3 a.m.--they certainly deserved the rest but were doing so with 'auction' type noise all around them...
and moreand more
and more

I guess I was quite taken with all the colors!!!
Construction at the Science CenterConstruction at the Science Center
Construction at the Science Center

Building a new building at the Nehru Science Center
In front of the Science CenterIn front of the Science Center
In front of the Science Center

Mike, Sue, and Isa after going through the exhibits--a fun time.
Dhobi GhatsDhobi Ghats
Dhobi Ghats

"Place where clothes are washed". 5000 men pound the dirt out of clothes daily. The water is provided by the government. Somehow, they're labeled and returned to the rightful owners!
Dhobi GhatsDhobi Ghats
Dhobi Ghats

Every blog that goes to Mumbai has pictures of this on it!
Dhobi Ghats InDhobi Ghats In
Dhobi Ghats In

bringing laundry in
Horse RaceHorse Race
Horse Race

Today was a day when we could get in free to see the race--couldn't get into the grandstand but that was ok!


11th February 2008

Great pictures. So colorful! Some of the pics remind me of Korea. Thanks for keeping us up to date on your adventure. Love it!
11th February 2008

Love the photos of the flowers! Now you're in the big city--Bombay! It's nice to see the homeland of my neighbors. Have fun!

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb