Tiger feat


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Madhya Pradesh » Bandhavgarh NP
January 11th 2006
Published: January 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

To combat the chill, I added another T-shirt to my arsenal of warm clothing for this morning's safari. The Swiss couple, Christoph and Elizabeth, proved to be good company and we spent most of the day together. They have done several trips in the past where they simply packed in their jobs, went travelling, then found something different on returning home, which I find quite refreshing.

The first tiger of the day was actually spotted by Christoph - he saw the silhouette of a male against the dawn haze in the maidan. It was heading across the meadow, so we zoomed round to the far side and sure enough it eventually came plodding across. We successfully intercepted it where it came out onto the road, but unfortunately another Jeep arrived and spooked it, so it loped off into the forest and I was left with a fairly meagre haul of pictures. There were no more sightings for us in the morning, and it turned out that none of the other Jeeps had seen anything either.

The afternoon safari was a little frustrating. Though there were two sightings within minutes of each other (two brothers apparently), they were in such thick forest that, even though both were only ten yards from the road, all you could see was rustling grass and a few glimpses of tiger skin, accompanied by low guttural growling. Also, there were about seven Jeeps clustered around, which ended up more resembling a traffic jam than a wildlife safari.

Back at the hotel I gave my clothes a good beating to attempt to dislodge some of the dust that had been accumulating on them. I suspect I'll still be shedding the stuff for a few weeks yet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb