Cochin


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Kerala » Kochi
December 10th 2006
Published: January 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

This morning we said good-bye to our treehouse and walked to the bus station. Bought some snacks for the bus ride, and asked someone which bus to take. The bus was a private one, so it was much nicer than the one we took to get to Kumily. Sitting in front of us were the first Americans we've seen around --- and they were from California also! We figured not as many Americans come to India as Europeans. We're the first of our friends/families to come.

A little less than 6 hours later and we arrived in Cochin. It was warm here. Our driver picked us up at the bus station, and we checked into our hotel....which is the nicest one we've had so far. We then left for some sightseeing. We saw all the big Cochin sights. We went to the Chinese fishing nets first, and they are really cool. They saw us looking and motioned for us to come over. We walked up onto the contraption and they had us help pull the net in a couple of times. We didn't catch very much (they said it's a bad time of the year for getting good fish...but they do it for the tourists), but we did get some pufferfish....which were all puffed up. It was awesome 😊 (I love pufferfish and have always wanted to see a live one puffed!). They threw those back and only kept the bigger of the fish. Around the area were lots of stands selling fresh seafood, and then stands that would cook whatever you bought however you want. Such a smart idea. I wish we could have had more time in Cochin...I would have totally hung out eating seafood cooked right in front of me!

We also went to the Dutch Palace, the Santa Cruz Basillica, the St. Francis Church, Jew town and the synagoge there. It was cool to go into a synagoge there -- it was small, but had all these oil lamps hanging down. Serene and pretty.

In the evening I got to take the first warm shower I've had all trip. It was nice. I feel very clean. We had some excellent dinner tonight: soup, minced chicken stuffed naan, maug chicken tikka, and sesame fish. The fish was spicy and delicious. It was good to get some fish finally. I like being near the coast 😊
Chinese Fishing NetsChinese Fishing NetsChinese Fishing Nets

Us helping pull the net in!


Now I'm pretty sleepy, but am tryin gto stay up a bit later. Tomorrow we are being picked up at 10am to go on to our next stop. I think the next few days will be lazy fun. Looking forward to our last week here --- I can't believe our trip is almost over!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Chinese Fishing NetsChinese Fishing Nets
Chinese Fishing Nets

the fish being collected from the net
Chinese Fishing NetsChinese Fishing Nets
Chinese Fishing Nets

Puffed Pufferfish
Jew TownJew Town
Jew Town

Gate outside of the Synagoge


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb