Wardrobe malfunction


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Bangalore
February 13th 2006
Published: February 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I got my blood test results back from the clinic today and all seemed fine. It will be another few days before the others are ready so I won't know until then just what it is that's been ailing me.

Fortunately there was a nearby railway reservation office with the most orderly queuing system that I've seen yet - several rows of seats that people keep shuffling along on until they reach the front. Unfortunately there were about 100 people in the queue. Loy's driver was subsequently tasked with the unenviable job of waiting in line for the ticket.

Lunch consisted of some more excellent home-cooked food, and we then watched on TV an event that, in the subcontinent, is second to none in terms of importance, namely a one day cricket international between India and Pakistan. We had cinema tickets for the evening, so missed the crucial final overs (but then stayed up until 2AM watching the highlights).

Presumably for perverse reasons, Loy had chosen an English film with a cast of English schoolkids, i.e. "The Chronicles of Narnia", for our entertainment. The cinema complex was in a mall, filled with the same clothes shops, CD shops, fast food joints, etc I would expect to see in the West. Apparently there's even an M&S here somewhere. No comment on the film, but it felt weird to be in a cinema here, and not just because it's been ages since I've seen a film in any country.

Today marks my last day in the comfort zone, with the harsh realities of guest house rooms and public transport to be confronted again from tomorrow. It's been a very welcome break, for the seeing of old friends as much as for the pampering, but there's a lot more of this country I have to visit yet ...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0873s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb