Tis' The Season.....


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Mcleod Ganj
December 27th 2006
Published: December 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Caroling Kids!!!!The Caroling Kids!!!!The Caroling Kids!!!!

These kids were great!!! Imagine them singing "Deck The Halls" with an Indian accent.
Walking along the streets in Mcleodganj, Christmas Eve, we eyed a flier announcing caroling at "The Church of Saint Johns in the Wilderness". I read about the church in our guidebook and wanted to make sure we saw it prior to leaving the city. Ade and I headed out at sundown, practicing singing our carols (Deck the Halls, Silent Night, Dradle/Dradle/Dradle) making our way about 1mile down the hill to the small / picturesque church (nestled in the woods). We bought some candles (as the flier suggested) and sat down, in our chairs......full of Christmas spirit! Passages from the Bible were read in Hindi followed by English/Hindi Carols. IT WAS GREAT!!! My favorite part of the evening was when the MC asked if any-one wanted to share "what Christmas meant to them"......in any language...from any country. A group of Polish girls got up and shared Xmas stories and one sang a beautiful rendition of "Silent Night (in Polish)". There was about 50% Indians, 50% foreigners at the church. It felt like a little-global-Christmas-village.....and it was a pleasure for us to be in attendance.

Christmas was spent hanging out in the city. We decided to spend 1500rupees ($40usd) on gifts for
The Church of Saint John in the WildernessThe Church of Saint John in the WildernessThe Church of Saint John in the Wilderness

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way.....
each other and split up for our shopping spree (on the 24th). I ended up with some cool Tibetan jewelry, a protector mask, and a bad stomach ache! It was a relaxing day. Later that night we caught a movie (WATER by DEEPAH MEDA) in a cool home-made movie theater. The tix were 30rupees (75cents). The theater had a large flat-screen TV, about 10rows of 747airplane seats (it sat around 25people).

Today we hiked 7miles (with a hired guide and random dog that followed us out of the city). When we booked the hike, the office said it was a slight incline to reach the town of Triund. HE LIED! IT WAS STRAIGHT UPHILL!!! Jeeze.......I had too many pieces of Chocolate Cake last night.

I love it up here. If any one is planning a trip to Northern India, Mcleodganj is a must.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Sunset...The day after Xmas!Sunset...The day after Xmas!
Sunset...The day after Xmas!

This was after a big rain-storm.
On the hike....On the hike....
On the hike....

You can see the trail behind us, and our dog-for-the-day, next to us!
Uhhhhhh.........I dont know what to say??Uhhhhhh.........I dont know what to say??
Uhhhhhh.........I dont know what to say??

This lady was in a tree chopping branches, about half-way up the trail. You can see the town of Mcleodganj (where we started)behind her.
In the City...In the City...
In the City...

Tibetan kids hanging-out


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb